IFES is seeking Electoral Management Specialist for an anticipated electoral integrity program in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The Electoral Management Specialist will provide technical support to key institutions in election administration, including voter registration, gender and social inclusion, results management, and post-election lessons learned. This position is based in Kinshasa, DRC.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain working relationships with the national counterparts, including the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) and other electoral management bodies (EMBs);
- Conduct detailed and ongoing assessment of the CENI’s capacity and establish a technical assistance plan, based on proposed election calendar, to identify and prioritize areas for assistance;
- Develop and provide advice on training programs to strengthen the CENI’s capacity ahead of the December elections and local government elections;
- Foster the leadership of the CENI by informing and enhancing the CENI’s decision-making capacity and strategic communications;
- Advise the CENI on the monitoring of field operations and the development of risk mitigation approaches for critical activities surrounding election day and results management;
- Provide advice for improving electoral systems and procedures;
- Support post-election reviews for lessons learned and strategic planning;
- Liaise with other election assistance implementers, donors, and the diplomatic community to coordinate activities and maximize the impact of collective technical assistance efforts;
- Provide necessary technical support to CSO partners to develop work plans and messages for public awareness activities.
- Provide broad oversight and technical expertise in the development of work plans and objectives to assure successful achievement of goals and objectives;
- Recommend policies, controls and procedures to guide performance;
- Monitor and evaluate interim results and develops contingency plans if objectives are off track;
- Demonstrate mastery in a field of specialization, with comprehensive knowledge of professional best practices;
- Use global/ industry outlook to determine impact on IFES’ strategy and apply thought leadership and innovations to work approaches.
DECISION MAKING/PROBLEM SOLVING:
- Identify risk factors with potential to disrupt achievement of operational goals;
- Consult with internal and external stakeholders to identify, propose and build consensus around best solutions;
- Complex decision-making subject to management review.
Manage processes that ensure compliance with budgeted expenses.
- Develop and maintains a network of external contacts to influence results of assigned goals;
- Collaborate with internal and external partners in planning, implementing and evaluating results;
- Seek consensus among diverse viewpoints as a means of building group commitment;
- Partnerships require a high degree of diplomacy and judgment, with ability to address conflicts or difficulties in a constructive manner.
Provide oversight and management of host country national staff, consultants and field experts to complete the project’s work plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, e.g., political science, law, international affairs, or public/business administration.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience, including a minimum of 5 years of experience working with elections management bodies in election administration capacity development, outreach and engagement of electoral stakeholders.
- Proven track record with democracy and governance programming in developing countries;
- Experience in strategic and operational planning for elections, results transmission, training, and institutional capacity assessment skills.
- Familiarity with USAID and other international donors as an action-oriented interlocutor with democracy-development actors at all levels;
- Prior experience working in a politically sensitive and challenging environment;
- Have experience working in Francophone Africa, preferably in the DRC; and
- Written and spoken fluency in French and English.
TRAVEL: As need arises to support the project
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
About the Organization
Vision: Our vision is a world in which strong democratic institutions empower citizens to have a voice in the way they are governed.
Mission: The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) supports citizens’ rights to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions.
As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by:
- Providing technical assistance to election officials
- Empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process
- Applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle
Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing democracies, to mature democracies.