Nathan Associates Inc., a U.S. based international development consulting firm, seeks to recruit an Embedded Technical Advisor for the USAID funded Supporting the Policy Environment for Economic Development (SPEED+) project. Nathan Associates is a leading provider of economic and management consultancy services worldwide. We have been implementing successful projects in private sector development for over 30 years.
The Supporting the Policy Environment for Economic Development (SPEED+) activity is a four-year (August 26, 2016 to August 25, 2020) USAID-funded project designed to improve the business enabling environment to attract investment, expand markets, and reduce costs, thus contributing to broad-based and inclusive economic growth and conservation of natural resources in Mozambique. SPEED+ will provide technical assistance and capacity-building to improve public-private policy dialogue, strengthen implementation of government policies and regulations, and support economic and structural policy reforms in 1) agriculture, 2) trade and business enabling environment, 3) power and water, and 4) biodiversity conservation.
Duration of the assignment: 24 months
Starting date: As soon as possible
The independent Mozambican Energy Regulatory Authority (ARENE) was formally established on 8 December 2017. ARENE has responsibility as the regulatory authority in the areas of electrical energy supply; the storage, distribution and sale of liquid fuels; and the distribution and sale of natural gas at a pressure of 16 bar or less. ARENE must now establish an organizational structure, management and operational functions, and technical capacity to carry out these three roles.
ARENE directly replaces the National Electricity Council (CNELEC) which previously acted as an advisory body for the electricity sector. ARENE also brings under its umbrella the regulatory roles carried out by the Ministry of Mineral Resources and Energy through its National Directorates of Hydrocarbons and Fuels and of Energy, as well as by other government institutions and entities who intervene in the sector such as EDM (public electricity utility), FUNAE(National Energy Fund), INP(National Petroleum Regulator) and ENH(National Oil Company). The organization and role of ARENE must also be decentralized and reconciled with that of the provincial directorates of Mineral Resources and Energy.
ARENE inherited the physical offices, assets, financial and human resources of CNELEC as the basis for its organization. ARENE has requested the support of an Embedded Technical Advisor to provide mentoring, coaching, and capacity building during this organizational development process, as well as technical guidance in fulfilling its regulatory functions. The advisor should have significant knowledge of regulatory function and operations, as well as the three specific areas of ARENE’s regulatory oversight: electricity, fuel distribution and downstream natural gas. The advisor will have extensive direct work experience in at least one of the three regulatory areas. The advisor will assist ARENE to establish effective management and operations systems and structures. The advisor will also assist with the drafting of regulatory guidelines and procedures required to establish efficient and responsive regulatory functions in its areas of authority.
Examples of regulatory subject matters to be addressed include: oversight of the concession and licensing of electricity supply projects; electricity pricing tariff design and structure, utility incentives, customer service issues and regulatory processes; fuel prices; licensing of fuel distribution activities; and licensing and authorization of downstream natural gas uses.
The Embedded Technical Advisor will serve as the overall technical advisor for ARENE and will support senior management decision-making. The advisor will assist ARENE in identifying the need for additional technical support from short term consultancies, working with SPEED+ to develop scopes of work, recruit, and manage short term consultants.
The Embedded Technical Advisor will generate support within ARENE for the change process through internal communication, negotiation, networking with key change agents, coaching etc. The Advisor will maintain a focus on capacity and skill building, the empowerment of ARENE staff, and the establishment of effective and streamlined systems and procedures.
The Embedded Technical Advisor has responsibility for assisting ARENE to develop and realize its role as the Regulator of the sectors of electricity, downstream natural gas and fuel distribution. This responsibility includes (but is not limited to) the following areas:
Organizational Development and Change Management
- Assist ARENE to establish effective management and operations systems and structures.
- Generate support within ARENE for the organizational development change process through internal communication, negotiation, networking with key change agents, etc.
- Support ARENE senior management in the organizational change process through strategic planning, coaching and mentoring.
- Work closely with organizational development consultants (to be contracted separately by SPEED+ or other donors) to facilitate their work with ARENE.
- Assist ARENE, SPEED+, or other technical assistance providers to design, procure and oversee the implementation of internal capacity building and training to strengthen ARENE’s management and operations.
- Assist in providing input and content to a new ARENE website.
- Assist ARENE to develop and implement an organizational development work plan and monitoring and evaluation plan.
- Serve as the overall technical advisor for ARENE and support senior management and technical staff with technical guidance, including the provision of research and analysis for evidence-based decision-making
- Assist ARENE, SPEED+, or other technical assistance providers to design, procure and oversee the implementation of internal capacity building and training to strengthen ARENE’s technical regulatory functions.
- Assist with the identification, design and drafting of regulatory guidelines and procedures required to establish efficient and responsive regulatory functions in ARENE’s areas of authority.
- Organize technical training for ARENE personnel where such activity is deemed necessary.
- 10 years professional experience in supporting change processes in public organizations;
- 10 years professional experience in energy regulation with significant experience in at least one of the three areas of ARENE authority (electricity, fuel or natural gas) and familiarity with the other two areas;
- Experience of governance, institutional strengthening, change management and capacity building principles, strategies and techniques;
- Relevant post-graduate degree(s) or equivalent in relevant fields (e.g. economics, law, engineering);
- Excellent planning, management and organizational skills;
- High level of interpersonal and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with a diverse range of groups;
- Demonstrated initiative and capacity to work independently as well as contribute positively in a team environment;
- Capacity to negotiate and manage conflicts;
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills;
- Excellent communication and report writing skills;
- A high level of computer literacy, mastery of Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Research skills;
- Excellent English and excellent Portuguese is a plus;
- Sensitivity to gender, environment, economic development and poverty issues.
About the Organization
Nathan is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence and with corporate offices in the US, London, and India and more than 40 program offices around the world, we offer the following five areas of expertise, honed since we opened our doors in 1946:
- International Development
- Infrastructure, Project Development & Finance
- Economic & Regulatory Consulting
- Litigation & Expert Services
- Advisory Services
For a close view of the company’s international and domestic projects please visit our related project listings and our international project websites http://www.nathaninc.com/services