Emergency Program Manager, Brazzaville
Program Quality and Management:
- Manage, implement and track progress on all activities throughout relevant project cycles - project design, start-up, implementation and close-out - to ensure efficient and effective implementation in line with CRS program quality principles and program management tools, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Ensure project team and partner staff are trained on and use the appropriate systems and tools.
- Champion learning with project staff and partner teams. Analyze and evaluate project performance data following MEAL policy. Proactively identify issues and concerns and use participatory processes to overcome implementation obstacles.
- Act as a key resource person in project design and proposal development in respective programming area, gap-filling and taking on growth responsibilities, as needed.
- Develop and implement strong MEAL systems using CRS tools and resources to maximize project impact on project participants.
- Support efforts for the appropriate integration of ICT as appropriate.
- Closely monitor events situation in Congo, (politics, and security, etc.) in order to contribute to an accurate analysis of the fluid operating environment in order to be appropriately responsive to the evolving context.
- Prepares and manages budgets with attention to progress toward program goals and against burn rates, reviewing budget comparison report to ensure that spending and program implementation are aligned.
- Supports partners to ensure adherence to financial guidelines.
- Proactively identifies and addresses financial issues and concerns in concert with others (staff, departments, and partners).
- Approve project expenditures, carry out regular budget tracking (through the use of CP budget monitoring tools and e-Budget) and take the lead on preparing financial reports and official requests for modifications when needed.
- Ensure that program activities comply with CRS financial guidelines, policies, procedures, and regulations. Ensure grant management compliance with donor regulations with support from the Finance and Country Managers
- Review project expenses and cash pipeline and coordinate liquidations with CRS Finance and Caritas/Congo
- Coordinate with operations staff for procurement and inventory control as per CRS/donor requirements.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise 2 staff. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, contribute to the recruitment process of project staff, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Ensure annual performance planning and reviews of staff performance in keeping with CRS’ performance management system. Mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity and teamwork.
- Identify training needs for team members under his/her supervision and support the development of PQ capacity building for team members.
- Hold regular meetings with project staff
- Help identify, assess and strengthen partnerships relevant to emergency assistance programming, applying appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- In an effort to assist partner in being better positioned to respond to emergency funding opportunities, work with local partner on identifying capacity building needs and organizing support and trainings, with support from HRD and DRC emergency technical staff
- Ensure strong communication and coordination with partner staff, using a 4D approach in all project activities.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or in the field of project management required. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant field-based experience in coordinating or managing light to moderately complex projects required, preferably with an international NGO.
- Project management experience in NFI distribution and voucher programs is highly desirable.
- Experience with USG-funded programs, familiarity with USG rules and regulations and compliance requirements
- Experience engaging with partner organizations, notably Caritas.
- Experience contributing to the development of technical proposals.
- MEAL skills and experience preferred.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment in rapidly changing contexts.
- Ability to build and motivate diverse and talented teams and manage staff remotely
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write reports in French and English.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented
- Willingness to work and travel in difficult environments
Required Foreign Language: French and English
Travel Required: up to 25% in departments of project implementation
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: M&E/Markit Officer and Database ICT4D officer
Internal: RoC Country Manager, DRC Emergency Coordinator, DRC Deputy Country Rep-Programming, RoC Operations team,
External: Caritas Ematelo teams (Caritas Congo and 3 diocesan Caritas), UN agencies, local governments and local authorities, other humanitarian actors
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Trusting Relationships
- Professional Growth
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff working specifically in emergencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Communicates strategically under pressure
- Manages stress and complexity
- Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.