Starting Date: August 2018
Contract Length: 12 months with possibility of extension
Duty Station: Mazar-e-Sharif with travel to the field and Kabul
Reports to: Head of Programs
Afghanistan continues to be a country in the midst of conflict. The humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate seeing continued displacement and humanitarian need. The situation in Afghanistan is compounded by the risk of natural disaster in a country where access to people in need of humanitarian assistance continues to shrink. PIN has been working in Afghanistan for over 15 years in humanitarian and development response focused on the provision of shelter/NFIs, cash, protection and in the wake of continued conflict is committed to scaling up humanitarian response.
The Emergency Response Program manager is a member of Senior Management Team. S/he will ensure the overall management of PIN’s humanitarian programs in Afghanistan, reporting to the Head of Programs. The position will support the scale up of emergency response in line with PIN Afghanistan’s humanitarian strategy and responsible for national capacity building. The Emergency Response PM will represent PIN towards donors, humanitarian partners and coordination bodies and authorities where required. The PM will have overall accountability to ensure quality, timely and effective implementation of PIN’s humanitarian projects, upholding organizational values and humanitarian principles.
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistant in 22 countries around the world. In Afghanistan, PIN has been responding to humanitarian needs and implementing development programs since 2001. PIN has established presence in 8 provinces in Afghanistan with approximately 140 staff. PIN implements projects focused on agriculture, women’s economic empowerment, social integration, and humanitarian response.
PIN has a long term strategic commitment to contribute to the alleviation of suffering caused by extreme poverty and both natural and man-made disasters in Afghanistan, by providing neutral and impartial relief and assistance, regardless of the prevailing national and international dynamics. PIN aims to work in coordination with existing local governance structures and promote community-based approaches to avoid undermining local structures.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Overall designing and management of humanitarian response ensuring timely, quality, and effective implementation in line with donor and internal compliance rules
- Carry out emergency needs assessment using necessary tools available internally and within cluster mechanism.
- Ensure gender, diversity and issues related to inclusion are being adequately addressed in project cycle management.
- Track project expenditure regularly and make necessary measures in line with donor agreement and in consultation with Head of Programs and Finance Manager.
- Capacity building and performance management of humanitarian response team and partners
- Active participation in strategic planning process ensuring reflections of views from the grassroots level.
- Build, strengthen and maintain close coordination and collaboration with Country Management Team and with various units within the organization
- Work together with Head of Programs and Senior Managers towards donor representation and resource mobilisation.
- In collaboration with humanitarian team, Head of Programs and HQ, ensure high quality humanitarian project proposals are developed within tight deadlines.
- Coordination with humanitarian community including but not limited to other humanitarian actors, Cluster system, respective line ministry, etc.
- Close coordination with Monitoring and Evaluation officer to ensure establishment and effective implementation of M&E framework
- Prepare high quality reports in timely manner for internal and external uses.
- Close coordination with security and access advisors to ensure safe implementation of activities
- Develop, review and regularly update Emergency Preparedness strategy/plan for Afghanistan including capacity building of staff and partners.
- University degree or equivalent in international development or related subjects
- Minimum 4 years, demonstrated experience managing large scale humanitarian response in conflict and natural disaster settings
- Understanding of humanitarian standards and principles
- Demonstrated experience in team management
- Demonstrated capacity in Project Cycle Management including sound financial management
- Demonstrated high level of verbal and written English communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage concurrent priorities
- Demonstrated understanding of cultural sensitivity of the local context
- Demonstrated experience working in insecure, rapidly changing environment and experience of living in shared housing
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of gender and protection mainstreaming
- Excellent understanding about humanitarian donors and UN and working experience of projects funded by ECHO, OFDA, FFP, PRM, DFID and UN systems.
- Demonstrated experience working in Afghanistan
- Demonstrated experience working in shelter/NFI, cash, protection response
- Knowledge of Dari/Pashto an advantage
- Demonstrated experience with institutional humanitarian donors including proposal development and reporting
- Personal integrity and value
- Communication and cooperation
- Stress management
- Problem solving
- Result oriented
- People management
How to apply:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, starting salary 3,400 USD;
- Accommodation in PIN guesthouse on PIN expense;
- Performance related bonuses paid twice yearly, offering up to one-month additional salary based on performance;
- 25 days of paid leave annually plus 15 days of R&R
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work and regional travel every 3 months of completed work
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line; travel health insurance.
Kindly send us your CV (no more than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please click on button “Apply” and fill the application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
The People in Need organization was established in 1992 by a group of Czech war correspondents who were no longer satisfied with merely relaying information about ongoing conflicts and began sending out aid. It gradually became established as a professional humanitarian organization striving to provide aid in troubled regions and support adherence to human rights around the world.
Throughout the 25 years of its existence, People in Need has become one of the biggest non-profit organizations in Central Europe. In addition to humanitarian aid and human rights, it now also targets education and helps people living in social exclusion.
We are part of Alliance2015, a strategic network of seven European non-governmental organizations engaged in humanitarian aid and development projects. This collaboration increases effectivity both in working in the target countries and in campaigns aimed at influencing the attitudes of politicians and the general public in Europe.