Role & Responsibilities
Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned Ebola WASH projects, effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget with a focus on response to the current Ebola outbreak and possibly other new crises requiring assessments and short-term interventions. Manage and oversee the provision of emergency WASH services that meet international quality standards as required for supporting health care delivery within the midst of the Ebola outbreak.
An Ebola outbreak was declared on 1/8/2018 in North Kivu in the areas where Medair is supporting Primary Health Care for populations affected by population displacement or epidemics. Emergency multi-sectoral projects target displaced, insecurity affected and vulnerable populations in Nord Kivu Province, in the east of the DRC. Projects are focused on health, nutrition, WASH and infrastructure rehabilitation, with a strong emphasis on rapid response to emergency situations in complex and unstable environments and/or remote locations. Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Nord-Kivu Province, DR Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in DR Congo.
Interventions may be in difficult to access areas for which the environment is physically challenging and accessible only by foot. The security context is complex and also requires constant monitoring.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time until end 2019.
Key Activity Areas
Ebola WASH response coordination
- Oversee the WASH components of Medair’s Ebola response ensuring that actions meet the project objectives within budget and time frame, and report promptly any operational concerns.
- Provide training and leadership to the WASH project teams in order to ensure that necessary WASH standards as required for supporting Medair’s Ebola response are maintained.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for WASH activities in collaboration with local authorities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities to ensure quality as well as staff safety, evaluating progress through outputs and impact using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Ensure coherence with strategy and planning. Direct the prioritization of activities.
- Support the WASH Managers of the assigned projects, including day-to-day management of staff when needed, development and training, appraisals; enforce disciplinary policies.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff in order to ensure safety and appropriate care.
- Oversee the WASH budgets and ensure that all expenses are according to budget and meet standards.
- Plan and construct WASH budgets related to the Ebola response.
Communication & Coordination
- Develop and maintain regular communication with the team, the Global Support Office (GSO) and other relevant stakeholders, with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Proactively network and coordinate with the WASH cluster and relevant coordination agencies.
- Participate in meetings of the Ebola coordination including PCI/WASH, sub-commission and national coordination meetings.
- Work to prevent stock outages and ensure that stock requests, purchase, cash forecasts and movement are being processed in a timely manner.
- Ensure WASH teams are adequately supported in the field – PPE, food, water, supplies, cash, etc.
- Support the logistics activities of WASH staff (purchasing of chemicals, supplies and equipment).
Quality Management / Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to Medair policy.
- Ensure WASH and Infrastructure projects are implemented in line with donor requirements and in accordance with Medair, country and international standards.
- Responsible for setting objectives of emergency WASH assessments and interventions, monitoring progress against agreed indicators and exit planning.
- Decide on new activities and new project sites in coordination with the Ebola Health Coordinator.
- Develop and maintain WASH ERT resources to improve capacity for rapid response.
- Monitoring security situation for teams in the field and working with Projects Coordinator if any action needs to be taken.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation (BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology).
- Previous experience working in an Ebola outbreak required.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ post-qualification relevant professional experience.
- At least 1 year management experience in a WASH context.
- At least 1-2 years’ work experience in WASH in a developing country.
- Willing to hike to reach remote areas. Willingness to support others and to share workload.
- Capacity to work under pressure. Able to cope with basic living conditions.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills, self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.