Job DescriptionPact Overview
Pact is a global development organization with a mission to build resilient, vibrant and prosperous communities. We work in 26 countries and focus our resources and capabilities on those challenged by poverty and marginalization. As our work increasingly blends social and environmental aims with sustainable business approaches, we are effectively entering the “fourth sector” of the economy, as we play an increasingly pivotal role in developing social enterprises and market-based approaches. In Myanmar, we are one of the largest and most diverse development agencies. We support country’s development through a wide range of integrated programs in community governance, health, livelihoods, water, sanitation and hygiene, nutrition, microfinance and, most recently, decentralized rural electrification.Project Overview
In May, Pact will be launching Smart Power Myanmar Facility (SPMF)
. SPMF will be a world-class platform to accelerate national-level rural electrification and related economic development. The goal of SPMF will be to connect 5 million people to electricity over the five years. Direct and indirect support from multiple donors will facilitate the development of energy access models in Myanmar. Amongst other objectives, SPM aims to facilitate energy market growth and investments as well as the economic development by close community engagement and extensive support to the demand creation; business advisory services for local ESCOs and investors to improve energy access models; and by analyzing evidence and data, lessons and expertise to ultimately provide support to government and international donors in shaping mini-grid policies and regulatory issues.
With start-up funding from Rockefeller Foundation, supported by several high-profile entities, we are currently building a team of high calibre experts to design, develop and run SPMF to provide high quality services to accelerate commercial development of energy access market in Myanmar. SPMF will sit at the nexus of the demand, supply, policy and financing of current and future electrification initiatives. Candidates will be passionate about energy as a driver of economic growth; as well as about the role of renewable energy; and will have outstanding experience and credentials in a range skills that the Facility will be expected to provide, including but not limited to policy advocacy, investment facilitation, development and demand creation at the community level, knowledge and data management.Role Purpose
Pact seeks an efficient Energy Data & Research Senior Associate
to provide integrated techno-economic analytics across the energy access sector, incl. demand projections modeling, mini-grid business modeling, pricing structures, Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) performance, etc., and aggregate the results to develop information streams for SPM’s team. S/he will assist the Senior Energy Services Director in business modeling to support the rollout of commercial initiatives for energy access in remote regions. By analyzing performance data of local ESCOs to develop standardized, low-risk, high-performance mini-grid business models, s/he will be crucial to facilitate access to finance for ESCO’s investment-ready projects for rural energy supply. Ensuring that SPMF’s data is of high quality, s/he will oversee implementation of M&E systems and track SPMF performance indicators to aggregate results and evidence for dissemination.
The Energy Data & Research Senior Associate
will be a part of a small team of energetic professionals who are results-oriented and dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in a challenging and diverse environment and will work under a direct leadership of Senior Energy Services Director. This position is open to Myanmar and international candidates with strong business acumen, analytical mindset and relevant experience. Applications from women professionals are strongly encouraged.Key Responsibilities
The Energy Data & Research Senior Associate
will demonstrate exceptional performance in the following functional areas:
- Deliver investment/business/financial advisory services by managing evidence generation and analyzing power plants’ and ESCO’s performance data and performing related business modeling to support the identification and development of business and financial models for commercially-viable decentralized projects in the Myanmar context
- Establish and implement effective M&E and knowledge management systems and provide M&E specific technical training, mentoring, and coaching to the facility team, and, as applicable, to the Facility’s clients
- Provide assistance to projects supported by the facility in their monitoring of progress and reporting of results and support the facility’s stakeholders in using data for informed and timely decisions related to the facility operations, initiatives, projects and innovations
- Engage with ESCOs, investors and other partners in evidence generation, data analysis and business modeling to improve functionality and performance of energy access business models
- Stimulate dialogue, connections and learning with and between research agencies, M&E professionals and the government, private sector and development partners
- MBA or academic background in finance, business modeling/analysis, economics, statistics or other relevant field
- 5 years of practical experience providing investment advisory, facilitating, evaluating and closing investment deals
- Proficiency in designing and managing studies; analyzing and presenting both qualitative and quantitative data for private and public sector audiences, including data visualization
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing, interpreting, and reporting on M&E results to incorporate lessons learnt into program designs, implementation as well as for awareness-creating campaigns
- Ability to develop and manage functional knowledge management systems and knowledge-sharing platforms to accelerate learning within and outside of the organizations
- Commitment to live and work in Myanmar, incl. willingness to travel extensively in challenging conditions
About the Organization
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.