Job Title: Energy Expert (Rural Electricity) Senegal
Department/Location: Home Base / Senegal
Reports To: Team Lead
Type: Short Term
IBTCI seeks an Energy Sector Expert with expertise in rural on-grid electrification and social and behavior change communication (SBCC) to assist with the implementation of the Millennium Challenge Corporation’s (MCC) contract with IBTCI for Developing MCC-Specific Approach to SBCC in Multiple Sectors (“SBCC Forward”). The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable of key behaviors affecting the uptake of and productive uses of electricity in rural Senegal or similar contexts. Additional preference will be given for candidates who have experience working for the MCC and those who have demonstrated experience performing against tight deadlines.
The period of performance for this position is approximately 5 months with estimated 20 days LOE. The candidate should be available part-time starting in May 2019. Additional assignments may arise during the remaining life of the project (September 2019 – 2023). Short-term travel to Senegal might be required.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
Scope of Work: Using your subject matter expertise, conduct formative research and technical assistance to support the MCC SBCC Forward contract. Tasks are expected to include, but are not limited to:
- Review background documents and results of preparatory work done to date;
- Contribute expertise in developing a research protocol detailing IBTCI’s doer/non-doer methodology for rural on-grid electrification in Senegal;
- Undertake formative research to develop sector-specific SBCC tools;
- Refine tools;
- Support data collection, data analysis, and identification of priority behaviors that must change in order for stakeholders to benefit from MCC investments with proposed solution pathways;
- Participate in phone calls and meetings with stakeholders, as needed; and
- Conduct due diligence on proposed behavior change interventions designed by the partner country;
- Other tasks as assigned.
Serve in the above consultant capacity to support the IBTCI technical practice of Global Health.
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to directly communicate with IBTCI clients.
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to have decision making authority on final work product.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with the MCC model;
- Understanding of behavior change models and methods such as doer/non-doer analysis;
- Strong research skills and experience developing country- and sector-specific data collection tools;
- Demonstrated experience leading and supporting research teams;
- Demonstrated experience working on international projects;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficiency in French and local Senegalese languages desirable but not required.
- At least eight years’ experience conducting research and/or implementing programs related to the energy sector in developing countries, with demonstrated past experience with rural on-grid electrification and behavioral and social issues related to uptake of and productive uses of electricity.
- Understanding of issues around connection and productive use of electricity in developing countries, preferably in rural contexts.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Public Policy, Energy Economics, or other relevant field. Master’s Degree preferred.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: This position may require international travel.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted. This position does not authorize/require the consultant to directly communicate with IBTCI clients. This position does not authorize/require the consultant to have decision making authority on final work product;
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment.
About the Organization
International Business Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies, and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.