DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 02 MAY 2018
DATE OF ISSUANCE: 03 APRIL 2018
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: ENGINEERING ASSISTANT
SECTION: CENTRALIZED WAREHOUSING SECTION
DURATION OF CONTRACT: ONE (01) YEAR FIXED-TERM APPOINTMENT
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: UNSOS/EA/018/2018
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located in the Mogadishu Central Warehousing Section (CWS). The incumbent reports directly to the Chief of Warehouse Operations Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Engineering Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Verify within UMOJA as a “Warehouse User” on all outstanding related Transfer Orders (TO) for the goods issuance and receiving (Picking and Put Away) of engineering materials;
- Print outstanding TOs and organise the physical picking and put away of the materials;
- Liaise with the Property Management Unit to ensure their presence during the “Picking and Put Away” process;
- Ensure that the correct quantity, material and bin location are actioned as per the TO (picked and put away in the right Bin Location);
- Ensure that in general all goods / materials are packed and prepared for collection/shipment.
- Ensure data entry in UMOJA confirming that the TO has been completed (Picking and Put Away)
- Ensure engineering items are stored correctly and materials that require/need special handling or storing are done pertinently;
- Ensure relevant tasks included in the Notification have been completed, this also includes the date, time and the person carrying out the action;
- Assist with the raising of Cargo Movement Requests (CMR);
- Assist in the daily organisation and running of engineering relevant Storage facilities;
- Assist in the inventory stocktaking (Counting and Controlling);
- Ensure that all anomalies are reported to the supervisor;
- Ensure that all documents pertaining to the Notification/TO are passed to the next relevant person for processing (Receiving Unit);
- Assist the Receiving Unit with the customer collections of engineering materials;
- Carry out any other tasks as required;
Professionalism: Demonstrate experience and expertise in Material management. Ability to maintain accurate and specific records and inventories. A proven ability to work with the minimum supervision. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent is required.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years’ experience in engineering services, warehousing and stock management or related area.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English and Somali (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of other UN language is an advantage.
Assessment Method: Evaluation of qualified candidates for this positions may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline April 30, 2018 will not be accepted. Curriculum Vitaes (CVs) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly attach a copy of High School Certificate, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).