In-Country Interpreter, Midline Performance Evaluation for USAID Oceans, Thailand
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
The United States Agency for International Development’s Oceans and Fisheries Partnership (USAID Oceans) is being implemented by Tetra Tech ARD in collaboration with the Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center (SEAFDEC) and other key stakeholders to strengthen regional cooperation to combat illegal, unreported, and unregulated (IUU) fishing, promote sustainable fisheries, and conserve marine biodiversity in the Asia-Pacific region.
The objectives of USAID Oceans are to:
- Implement a financially sustainable Catch Documentation and Traceability (CDT) system that links to Fisheries Information Systems (FIS) and is demonstrated within a regional Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries Management (EAFM) framework;
- Expand use of CDT to areas important for biodiversity in the ASEAN and Coral Triangle regions;
- Strengthen the capacity of regional organizations to conserve biodiversity using EAFM and CDT to combat IUU fishing; and,
- Engage the private sector to ensure sustainability and uptake of CDT and EAFM, while advancing regional fisheries governance.
USAID Oceans works in partnership with the Government of the Philippines and Government of Indonesia to implement and test CDT systems in the program learning sites. The Activity has selected two demonstration sites in General Santos City, Philippines and Bitung, Indonesia to pilot the CDT system development, implementation, and testing. At both ‘learning sites’, USAID Oceans conducted assessments to identify the main export markets and an in-depth analysis to support EAFM plan development and human welfare interventions. The Activity has identified the CDT requirements of different stakeholders and engaged the private sector to implement traceability and ensure a financially sustainable CDT system, and has attempted to identify early adopting private sector partners to test the systems in the learning sites. Following a demonstration of viability in the learning sites, the Activity aims to expand into additional sites across Southeast Asia (potentially including Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, and others).
*** Please note: This is a local position. Only Thai citizens will be considered. ***
SI is seeking an In-Country Thai-English Interpreter to support the USAID Oceans evaluation by assisting the members of the Evaluation Team in communication needs, participating in qualitative data collection, and providing interpretation services for the evaluation team as needed during Key Informant Interviews and Focus Group Discussions. The Interpreter may be asked to perform translation tasks for data collection tools in the week leading up to fieldwork. The Interpreter will travel with and support the evaluation team on a full-time schedule for about 1 week in February 2019. This work is anticipated to take about 4 days of LOE but is subject to changes in the tentative fieldwork schedule: February 8th – 16th in Bangkok. The Interpreter will report to the Team Leader, who will make specific assignments and monitor fieldwork preparations and progress. Social Impact will oversee the overall management of the evaluation.
- Become familiar with program background and any relevant USAID Oceans-related vocabulary/terminology;
- Support the Evaluation Team during data collection by providing live interpretation or note-taking as needed during Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) or Key Informant Interviews (KIIs);
- Carry out other tasks as requested.
- 2-3 years professional interpretation or translation experience preferred;
- Required to be based in Thailand, with ability to travel in-country;
- Fluency in English and Thai is required;
- Professional translation work a plus;
- Familiarity with USAID evaluations or USAID funded projects preferred.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.