Blumont is seeking an Enterprise Development Specialist for an anticipated five-year USAID/Afghanistan funded – Market Based Jobs for Peace. This activity aims to support enterprise growth in rural and peri-urban areas in Afghanistan by addressing key constraints that inhibit their productivity, their ability to hire more people, and their linkages to major market centers. The Enterprise Development Specialist will likely be based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The Enterprise Development Specialist/Technical Lead will lead the enterprise development support component of the project, taking an active role in design and implementation of training programs and other initiatives, business development support, and provision of ‘start-up packages’ to selected base-level entrepreneurs. The Enterprise Development Specialist will support the strategy design for these components and will be responsible for ensuring the effective planning, implementation, review and monitoring of the interventions
Other duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party to ensure that project objectives are met in a timely manner
- Improve the quality, availability, and accessibility of financial and non-financial services for SMEs
- Link suppliers with established firms in selected sectors
- Identify business regulation issues/challenges and make/implement recommendations for improvements
- Strengthen the ability of business associations to address policies that impact the ease of doing business
- Encourage formalization of private enterprises
- Work with business to increase access to finance, facilitate investment promotion, trade finance programs and increase local and foreign private sector investment
- Provide training and mentoring that will enable the private sector businesses to effectively manage their businesses, stimulate growth and provide quality products and services
- Keep up-to-date on key developments in private sector governance, policy and regulation in Afghanistan and abroad to inform technical support activities.
Qualifications and Skills:
- MBA or Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Development Economics or closely related subject
- Fluency in the English language and strong written and spoken communication skills
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience in SME/enterprise development
- Five (5) years of work experience in SME / enterprise development, private sector development, public administration and management areas on projects of similar size and complexity
- Experience managing teams of international and local consultants
- Experience implementing in major USAID / USG donor funded programming
- Proficiency in Dari and/or Pashto
- This position is limited to Afghan local nationals.
About the Organization
Blumont is a global organization working in concert with local communities to design and implement innovative approaches to build infrastructure, deliver lifesaving humanitarian assistance, and foster opportunities for long-term stability and development. With two decades of experience working in the world’s most challenging environments, we have the capacity to effectively operate in nearly any conditions. Blumont serves refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of conflict, and other underserved populations through programming tailored to local contexts and needs in order to empower communities from relief and recovery to sustainable resilience.