Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded VectorLink Project. VectorLink will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 24 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party/Technical Manager, the Entomology Field Coordinator will be responsible for timely and high quality field entomological work and will assist the Entomology Insectary Technicians with managing the insectary.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support implementation of the following set of entomological field activities:
- Establishment of sentinel sites
- Monitor vector density and behavior pre- and post-deployment of vector control interventions using World Health Organization (WHO) standard mosquito sampling methods
- Conduct wall bioassays within two weeks after every spray cycle and on new insecticide treated mosquito nets (ITNs) before distribution to evaluate the quality spray and products.
- Conduct wall bioassays monthly in selected districts to evaluate the residual efficacy of sprayed insecticides and bi-annually to evaluate insecticidal activity of ITNs.
- Monitor vector susceptibility tests to currently use and candidate insecticides on annual basis. Conduct intensity and synergist assays in sentinel sites selected for insecticide resistance monitoring.
- Participate in other field activities as required
- Assist with procurement requests related to the field entomological activities
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures for these activities
- Support, when required, the Entomology Insectary Technicians in managing the insectary operations.
- Ensure proper and timely data recording and entry.
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Chief of Party/Technical Manager.
This position may require frequent visits to the field and sentinel sites for mosquito collection.
- Bachelor’s degree in Entomology, Biology, or other relevant field
- At least two (2) years’ experience in entomological, laboratory, or veterinary work
- Knowledge in computer skills (able to run programs such as Microsoft word, Excel)
- Knowledge of English
- Experience with laboratory animal rearing is an added advantage
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.