With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Asia-Pacific Technical Assistance Facility (TAF) will support priority trade and investment related capacity building and policy reforms that have a high potential to reduce poverty in developing countries in the Asia Pacific. The TAF is a demand-driven mechanism that will respond to local partners’ needs through implementation of mandates/projects.
The Environment Expert shall explicitly and systematically implement the environmental measures identified below. The Environment Expert shall submit an Environmental Management Plan at the PIP stage, in order to ensure that the project is not likely to cause significant adverse environmental effects, and to enhance positive environmental effects where feasible.
a) Ensure that appropriate environmental safeguards are in place;
b) Ensure that mandates/projects are reviewed for environmental considerations, including climate change mitigation opportunities and adaptation needs that reflect current and future expected conditions
The specific responsibilities of the Environmental Expert include the following:
- Produce an environmental management plan to be included in the Project Implementation Plan;
- In collaboration / consultation with the Project Manager, assess environmental issues related to proposed mandates;
- In collaboration / consultation with the Project Manager, draft recommendations to facilitate the integration of environmental issues into mandate proposals;
- Prepare project-level environmental reporting in accordance with requirements’
- Keep an up-to-date inventory of relevant country-specific trade and investment-related environmental issues in Asia Pacific assistance provided by Canada and other developed country partners to be provided upon request by the Department in order to facilitate implementation and delivery of expected results for this project; and,
- Produce guidance documents and tools to assist proponents in integrating environmental considerations in their mandate proposals, as well as identify experts and implementing partners to integrate environmental considerations in their technical assistance.
The proposed individual should have at least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, ideally a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
For the purpose of this criterion, “relevant discipline” means environment related studies (e.g. environmental sciences, environmental engineering, international environmental law).
Points will also be awarded for professional development completed by the proposed individual in the past ten (10) years (including professional training, publications, research) related to:
- Natural resources management;
- International environmental policies;
- Environmental implications of trade and /or investment policies and regulations
- Climate change (mitigation and/or adaptation)
The individual should have at least 24 months of experience carrying out research, analysis, provision of policy advice or delivery of technical assistance in 3 of the following areas, including a full explanation of the role of the individual and their contribution to the activities completed:
a) analyzing and/or providing advice on the environmental aspect of policies and / or institutions;
b) conducting research on environmental issues;
c) building the capacity of environment related ministries and / or organizations;
d) promoting sustainable natural resources management in developing countries;
e) building the capacity of the private sector to be environmentally responsible.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills (speaking, writing and oral) in English.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.