The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) was created to help foster social and economic development, create wealth and improve infrastructure connectivity in Asia by investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors. As a new addition to the global multilateral development bank (MDB) family, AIIB works closely with other multilateral and bilateral institutions as well as the private sector to improve infrastructure by promoting regional cooperation and partnerships. AIIB has 103 members, including 21 prospective members, and has an authorized capital of USD100 billion, of which USD20 billion is paid in. AIIB is a triple A-rated institution.
The Environment Specialist will be a member of the Operational Services Department (OSD) responsible for leading the integration of environmental dimensions into the work of AIIB given the the importance of this issue in the development of sustainable infrastructure. The position involves: (i) managing activities that incorporate environmental dimensions into policies, programs, projects, technical assistance and training and (ii) managing the environmental risks and impacts of investment strategies, policies, programs and projects.
AIIB’s specialists are professional-level staff and are recognized by the Management as an advisory resource for a broad area of specialization or in a narrow specialized field. They contribute to strategy, analysis and policy formulation. They are expected to be experienced in their specific areas of specialization, with practical application of broad-based professional knowledge. They should have the ability to work on complex assignments; perform professional-level research and analysis and address critical challenges in project preparation and implementation. The Environment Specialist will work under a moderate level of guidance; routinely lead complex projects; and integrate the work of other (often multi-disciplinary) professional staff. They provide guidance to professional and junior professional staff.
- Contribute to the formulation and implementation of the environmental aspects of AIIB’s strategies, policies, programs and projects, including strategic planning and sector studies.
- Participate in the environmental due diligence in project preparation and implementation of investment programs and projects. Project preparation includes identification of critical environmental risks and their impacts and designing mitigation measures to address these impacts.
- Review and ratify the design, preparation and implementation of Environmental and Social (E&S) Assessments and Environmental Management Plans by clients. Ensure that the E&S assessments and mitigation measures are in compliance with the Bank’s Environmental and Social Framework.
- Appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB’s Environmental and Social Framework; this will include intensive interactions with clients and specialists, supplemented by field-based reviews.
- Develop, recommend and monitor courses of action based on reviews to resolve issues concerning client compliance with the environmental requirements of AIIB during the project implementation phase.
- Coordinate the application of disclosure and grievance resolution mechanisms (GRM) and consultation on environmental and social assessments and related studies at the project level.
- Lead/Contribute to reviews of country and corporate environmental safeguard policies to determine their potential for selective/ partial or full use in AIIB-financed projects.
- Develop and conduct training on environmental safeguard systems for AIIB staff and clients.
- Coordinate relations with civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations related to environmental issues in Bank-financed projects.
- Contribute to AIIB’s knowledge base on environmental and social aspects of projects.
- Minimum 5-8 years of relevant experience in environmental planning and management either working as an Environmental Specialist for, or as a government counterpart or consultant to, a multilateral development bank, bilateral donor or a private sector organization.
- Experience in the preparation and/or execution of project-level Environmental Impact Assessments/Environmental Management Plans.
- Familiarity with environmental and social policies or framework of multilateral development banks (MDBs).
- Experience in the development and implementation of environmental strategies, policies and procedures, preferably, with specialization in one or more environmental domains such as, air quality monitoring, water quality monitoring, biodiversity, etc.
- Proven application of professional expertise in the planning and management of environmental aspects of infrastructure programs and projects, including in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
- Strong ability to participate in project development (including project design, feasibility studies, and consultations) and project management.
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge in climate financing, mitigation and adaption.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to work with the public and private sector clients and development partners (MDBs and bilateral development organizations) of AIIB in an effective, timely and professional manner in both formal and informal settings.
- Experience serving as a member of interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience in working with civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations.
- Experience in working with fragile states, natural disaster areas and/or conflict or post-conflict areas is desirable.
- Experience with financial intermediaries, ESG ratings or sustainable finance is desirable.
- Willingness to spend significant time making site visits, often to remote locations (when travel restrictions are lifted).
- Proficient in oral and written communication skills in English and knowledge of a language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests or may invest would be an advantage.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in environmental science, engineering, planning, policy or related fields.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
About the Organization
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, we began operations in January 2016 and have now grown to 103 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond, we will better connect people, services and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.