USAID Power the Future Project
Tetra Tech is implementing the Power the Future project (PtF) under the contract with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) from August 2017-2021. PtF is working to enhance regional cooperation on shared energy resources, working across the five countries of Central Asia to accelerate the transition to clean energy. On a national level PtF is supporting each country of Central Asia, following international best practices, to create effective enabling environments for private sector investments in renewable energy (RE) that accounts for the low wholesale and retail electricity prices that are common throughout the region. PtF also supports development of policy and regulatory preconditions for investment in RE and energy efficiency (EE).
Pamir Energy and Sebzor Project
Since 2008, Pamir Energy (PE) under the protocol of cooperation in energy sector between the Government of Tajikistan and the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development provides electricity to over 40’000 people in Afghanistan, with an additional 420,000 to be added in the next seven years subject to availability of funds for construction of transmission line and distribution network in Afghanistan. In total, these consumers will require approximately 10.7 MW of capacity, and as PE continues to construct additional transmission lines, more capacity will be required.
To meet this increased demand, PE had identified a site for a new 11 MW HPP, which was endorsed by the Government of Tajikistan. SWECO (Swedish based consulting company) has completed a feasibility study of the Sebzor project in 2016. The Project comprises the construction of a basic, run of the river power plant with an estimated generation potential of about 94.5 GWh annually. The HPP will be connected to PE’s main transmission grid via a 20 km 110 kV line to the Khorog substation and to the local 35 kV grid.
Government of Tajikistan has entrusted PE to implement the Sebzor project as a project executing agency. The project’s total cost is around US $40 million and is being supported by a consortium of donors including the European Union (EU) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) channeled through the German Development Bank (KfW), the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), the World Bank (WB) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
As part of this funding consortium, USAID through the PtF is providing technical assistance to Sebzor Project Coordination Unit of PE to improve the company’s capacity in renewable energy development and support implementation of the HPP.
SCOPE OF WORK
The overall objective of this position is to ensure the Project’s environmental and social compliance.
The Environmental & Social Impact Expert shall be responsible for overall management, oversight and monitoring of implementation of environmental & social measures as specified in the Project’s ESIA, ESMP, RPF and SEP. The incumbent will work closely with other members of Sebzor Project Implementation Unit (PIU), for attainment of the objectives.
- Lead and ensure the implementation of the provisions on environmental and social compliance as specified in, but not limited to ESIA, ESMP, RPF and SEP.
- Support resettlement action plan implementation.
- Coordinate between the project and other stakeholders with regard to full compliance on social and environmental requirements and covenants of the project.
- Ensure adequate and frequent communication with relevant project stakeholders. Be the main counterpart for donors and international partners regarding E&S compliance.
- Coordinate E&S activities with PE staff and provide necessary support to external project consultants.
- Review and provide technical advice on environmental and social documentation and any compensation and resettlement action plans associated with the project.
- Review safeguards instruments and ensure they are integrated in the bidding documents, construction contracts and subproject operations. Provide input into Sebzor HPP project documents and proposals as required.
- Lead on grievance redress mechanism.
- Participate in project supervision and monitoring activities to address social and environmental issues.
- Manage & coordinate E&S Impact Officers.
- Provide guidance and share knowledge on environmental and social aspects/compliance with PE staff. Build PE staff capacity to carry out aforementioned tasks and to lead E&S discourse and activities.
- Any other tasks related to environmental and social compliance relevant to the Project and the PIU.
- Master’s degree in environmental sciences, natural resource management, renewable energy or other related fields
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience in energy and/or environmental sector
- Prior work experience in Central Asia and/or Afghanistan, Pakistan
- Prior experience in similar projects
- Sound technical understanding & scientific knowledge
- Expert knowledge of environmental & social compliance
- Proficiency in English; proficiency in Tajik and/or Russian is an advantage
- Demonstrable analytical skills and report-writing skills
- Excellent management and communication skills
- Proficient in Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Ability to systematically analyze complex problems, draw relevant conclusions and implement appropriate solutions.
- E&S Impact Expert will be hired by Tetra Tech Inc. on a part time basis under the framework of the PtF project for the period starting January 2020 until August 2021, and will be seconded to PE for the contract’s duration. After the end of the contract with Tetra Tech Inc. the consultant might continue their service under a contract with PE if the position is require
- E&S Impact Expert will work under the technical supervision of the Sebzor Project Director
- The E&S Impact Expert will also submit regular reports to TT which will be reviewed, approved, and signed off on by PE prior to submission to TT.