The National Fisheries Institute (Instituto Nacional de Pesca) needs your expertise to advance the sustainable development of small-scale fisheries through innovative research and its implementation. Founded in 1960 with the support of the United Nations, the state research institute makes an important contribution to the sustainable development of the coastal region and the protection of biodiversity. A special focus is placed on research in the field of socio-economic and ecological aspects of artisanal fishing. Innovative research methods and measures, as well as cooperation with government institutions, are intended to promote the sustainable use of marine resources.
Your tasks will involve:
- Researching socio-economic and ecological aspects and development opportunities of small-scale fishing in selected provinces
- Conducting surveys of fish stocks in protected marine areas
- Conducting a study on the impact of climate change on artisanal fisheries
- Conducting research aimed at identifying marketable organic products
- Cooperating in the further development of a participatory monitoring system for small-scale fisheries
- University degree in (marine) environmental or social sciences, marine biology or a subject pertinent to the task at hand; preferably at PhD level and with a focus on environmental aspects
- Several years of research experience in the field of marine resources and/or marine environmental protection with a focus on small-scale fisheries
- Experience in project management and cooperation with the public sector
- Ideally, regional work experience with fishing communities and in the application of participatory methods
- Fluent business Spanish and English
- In addition you have the citizenship of an EU or EFTA member state for reasons to meet the criteria of the Integrated Experts Program
What we offer:
- Varied work with individual responsibility in an international field
- Teamwork with other development cooperation organisations
- Professional preparation for overseas deployment
- Placement to a local employer as an Integrated Expert for an initial period until October 2021 - an extension is possible
- Attractive monthly allowances as well as a local salary and social benefits
Note: The job offer is current, there is no deadline for applications.
Please follow the link of the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs for travel information https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/ReiseUndSicherheit and the country information Portal www.liportal.de .
About the Organization
The Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM) is your ideal partner for finding a responsible position in the field of development policy. We place highly qualified staff with employers in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe. Your role is to pass on their knowledge where they are especially needed. CIM is jointly run by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (www.giz.de) and the German Federal Employment Agency (www.arbeitsagentur.de). It has been providing a combination of development and labour market policy expertise since 1980.