Welcome to the Competence Centre for Environmental and Social Sustainability at KfW Development Bank. When it comes to assessing projects in terms of their impacts on people and the environment, our expertise is required. We carry out environmental and social due diligence in support of KfW Group. At the same time, we foster professional dialogue around environmental and social issues, both within our institution as well as with stakeholders from civil society and the science community.
• You will undertake environmental and social appraisal of proposed projects of both KfW Development Bank and KfW IPEX Bank and assess them in terms of environmental and social risks.
• You will guide the formulation of appropriate mitigation measures and monitor their implementation during project construction and the operational stage.
• You will work closely with the project-managing departments and are involved with our partners, clients, consultants and local authorities.
• Whenever there is a need to improve our current environmental and social policy as well as assessment standards and procedures, you will contribute to developing them further.
• You will actively participate in the professional debate at a national and international level, representing the views of KfW Group.
• A bachelor’s or master’s degree in natural or social sciences, ideally majoring in environmental and resource protection or a comparable qualification in environmental planning
• Familiar with Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA), Environmental and Social Due Diligence (ESDD), Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS), Stakeholder Engagement Plan and Mitigation Hierarchy
• Several years of relevant international experience both in the analysis and assessment of environmental and social risks and impacts, preparation of ESIAs and ESDDs, both internationally and in an EU context
• Broad ESIA/ESDD experience, ideally profound experience in managing risks and impacts in one or more of the following speciality fields: biodiversity, resettlement, indigenous people and cultural heritage
• Proven experience in applying the standards and evaluation benchmarks of the World Bank Group (World Bank Safeguards, IFC Performance Standards, EHS Guidelines), the EU and the Equator Principles
• Intermediate German language proficiency (at least comparable to B2) as well as fluent English and preferably excellent proficiency in another language (e.g. French, Spanish and/or Portuguese)
• Willingness to travel abroad to developing and emerging countries
• Pronounced ability to analyse, cooperate and be assertive, coupled with a willingness to get involved in new and diverse topics