Context & position summary
Alterfin is strengthening its Environmental and Social Performance Management System (ESPMS) to measure and report its environmental and social impact. As Environmental and Social Impact Manager you will provide technical expertise and leadership to generate and analyse quality evidence and data through the monitoring and assessment of Alterfin’s operations and the evaluation of its investments, to inform management/decision making and, ultimately, to understand the impact on Alterfin’s partners and its partners’ impact on their respective clients (small holder farmers, and microfinance institutions’ clients).
As the Environmental & Social Impact Manager you will be in the driving seat of the development and implementation of the ESPMS within Alterfins’ operations. You will coordinate the roll-out of the ESPMS: the development of appropriate monitoring tools & methods and relevant reporting systems; quantitative and qualitative analysis; survey and sample design, and effectively promoting evidence-based management/decision making. You will follow-up and continuously improve the internal processes and systems and assist in building the necessary organisational conditions and capacities.
As a professional, you will start this position with a relevant background and skillset. During the first year, you will be supported by an external Monitoring & Evaluation senior expert, but will ultimately become the internal expert in sustainable impact metrics and monitoring.
You will be based either in the Alterfin office in Brussels (Belgium), Lima (Peru) or Nairobi (Kenya). Posting in another European country or in one of Alterfin’s countries of operations can be envisaged.
Responsibilities & Duties
· Coordinate and oversee the implementation of the environmental and social impact monitoring including data/information collection, analysis and quality control;
· Develop practical tools and instruments for data collection, reporting and analysis;
· Adapt and fine-tune the conceptual design of the ESPMS based on new insights;
· Work with the team and partners to continuously improve the monitoring and evaluation processes and systems;
· Network and liaise with like-minded organisations as well as with colleagues / experts in the field of monitoring & evaluation and environmental & social impact measurement to share experiences and best market practices;
· Provide guidance and build capacity of project staff in the effective use of the ESPMS and associated tools, instruments and methods;
· Document the environmental and social impact monitoring process and develop hands-on resource materials for staff and partners;
· Coordinate and/or facilitate internal reflection and analysis meetings/workshops;
· Prepare the aggregation and synthesis of data including the development of relevant database systems, data visualization, dashboard tools, etc.;
· Design and implement on the field research to develop case studies looking at the impact of Alterfin and its partners;
· Coordinate the compilation of quarterly, bi-annual or annual progress and summary reports;
· Assist in the development and revision of annual work plans and strategies for the organisation;
· Foster the sharing of lessons learned and good practices within the organisation.
About the Organization
Alterfin in a nutshell:
Alterfin is a cooperative organisation set up in 1994 through a collaboration between NGOs and ethical banks. As a cooperative, Alterfin gathers more than 6,000 private citizens, NGOs and a number of companies aiming to enhance human dignity in the developing countries by promoting individual and collective economic activities that contribute to sustainable development. At the end of 2019, Alterfin had an outstanding portfolio of Euro 100 million, invested through 180 organizations in 37 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. 53% of the outstanding portfolio is invested through Microfinance Institutions while the remaining in smallholder sustainable agriculture organizations active in 13 different value chains.
Alterfin’s goal is to improve the livelihoods and living conditions of socially and economically disadvantaged people and communities, predominantly in rural areas in low- and middle-income countries around the world.
In order to achieve this goal, Alterfin provides financial and non-financial services to its partners by:
- raising funds, mainly from individual investors and socially responsible institutions;
- structuring and promoting ethical and sustainable investments;
- networking with like-minded organisations.
In this way, Alterfin contributes to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.