Achieve the overall goal of reducing excess morbidity and mortality in South Sudan by delivering quality emergency health care in all ERT locations. This will be by participating in rapid health assessments and assisting in the project design and direct implementation of health interventions. These may include setting up and running health facilities, conducting vaccination campaigns, and outbreak response. Health managers provide supervision and training to local staff to capacity build them to implement the programmes. Other aspects of the role include data management and report writing, stock management, and coordination with other partners to monitor the overall health situation in the country. The health manager is to provide supervision to the various emergency responses to ensure patients are diagnosed and treated according to the Ministry of Health Guidelines. Health managers may be asked to provide cross cover for assessment and responses of our nutrition Emergency Response Team.
Multi-sector emergency response programme including provision of emergency health, nutrition, wash, and NFI/Shelter services for vulnerable populations in South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Mobile position in all states of South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Carry out assessments to locations with newly identified emergency needs using standardized reporting tools to identify gaps and need for potential response.
- Responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned health field interventions in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal and any applicable national and international guidelines and standards.
- Provide both on-the-job and formal training for local staff in line with the appropriate international and South Sudan guidelines.
- Conduct regular visits to clinics and other health facilities for supportive supervision.
- Ensure regular monitoring and evaluation of intervention implementation and quality.
- Assist the Project Manager to manage and oversee the assigned local health team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. The team may include certified health staff and support staff (e.g. cooks, cleaners, guards).
- Act as team leader for relocatable staff team at field sites; responsible for day to day planning, regular communication with Project Manager, coordination of staff and reporting, ensuring quality of programming and security management.
- Assist in the recruitment of local field staff within the intervention location following all HR policies of Medair and the Government of South Sudan.
- Promote the health and security of the health team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
Communication & Coordination
- Maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned health team, Medair in-country health managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders.
- Assist in intervention planning and preparations in line with intervention check-list.
- Work alongside logistics staff in the field to coordinate transportation, base set-up and management, and all stock management, ensuring proper stock-keeping records are in place.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering of needed stocks and supplies to the field location in coordination with the Project Manager.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor). Diploma in Public Health or Tropical Medicine desirable. Education / training / experience in humanitarian work.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification nursing / medical professional experience.
- Experience working in a health programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Ability to manage project implementation and to work effectively in a wide variety of situations.
- Able to develop relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, other agencies and local authorities.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills and excellent organisational skills.
- Mobile field based position in the Emergency Response Team. Expect 80% of time to be spent in field location, with the other 20% spent at the support base in Juba.
- South Sudan is a dynamic context and the location of the interventions may be in areas of relative insecurity. Tent camping and basic conditions are possible.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.