Manage ERT Non Food Items (NFI) and emergency shelter assessments, distributions and related processes; while contributing to the overall quality of Medair NFI and emergency shelter programming in South Sudan.
The Emergency Response Team is primarily based in Juba and travels to field locations responding to outbreaks, emergencies, and population displacements across all of South Sudan. The team covers emergency responses in four main sectors: water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH); health; nutrition; and NFI/emergency shelter.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position. Locations vary across South Sudan depending on the emergency, and at times may include Juba. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Identify the NFI needs for affected populations through assessments.
- Lead and facilitate appropriate verification and registration processes for affected populations.
- Lead and facilitate appropriate distributions to meet identified NFI and emergency shelter needs for affected populations.
- Coordinate with NFI partners in field locations.
- Input into the development and updating of Medair and cluster standards for assessment, verification and distribution.
- Advise on the suitability of NFI and emergency shelter items used.
- Attend meetings when requested at Juba and field levels.
- Cover Central Equatoria State Focal Points when requested (covering state-wide stock reporting, coordination, etc.).
- Represent Medair to local authorities and partner agencies while on ground in field sites.
- Line manage 1-3 NFI officers.
- Responsible to act as team leader on a site when requested – with authority over other Medair staff in the field sites.
- Act as team leader for inter-agency teams on site when requested.
- Assist in the hiring and supervision of casual labour assisting in NFI activities or logistical support.
- Ensure assessments, verification, registration and distribution processes are done in line with cluster standards.
- Ensure that all reporting and administration is done on time and according to the relevant guidelines and is reported accurately.
- Ensure that NFI and emergency shelter is reaching emergency affected populations and not being distributed indiscriminately.
Logistics and security
- Responsible for logistics arrangements (staff/cargo movements) related to specific field sites.
- Share security information with your team and the ERT NFI project manager and/or the team leader.
- Assist with information for developing the annual budget for the ERT NFI project.
- Management of daily expenses used for the project, including entering expenses into field expense reports following completion of field assignments.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Undergraduate degree and experience preferably in relevant field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Experience working with staff from different cultures.
- Working skills with Word, Excel, and use of email. Good communicator.
- Ability to speak in front large groups confidently and interact with local leaders, diverse teams.
- Self-motivated, desires to serve the community.
- Able to thrive in isolated settings with sometimes limited social interaction.
- Flexible and willing to work in often difficult and undeveloped environments, including camping, travel.
- Willingness to remain in field for up to 8-12 weeks at a time.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.