Role & Responsibilities
Provide supervision and training to local staff to allow them to implement the programmes. The nutrition manager is also in charge of writing reports and keeping good data records, assist with ensuring adequate stocks, provide training to local staff as needed, and monitor overall nutrition situation and observe for potential outbreaks.
The Emergency Response Team (ERT) responds to nutrition emergencies arising from elevated malnutrition rates and other aggravating factors e.g population displacements and food insecurity within any of State of South Sudan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Working and living conditions may be very basic and require great resilience.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
June 2020. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Be responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned nutrition field interventions in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal and any applicable national and international guidelines and standards.
- Conduct daily supervision to clinics and other nutrition facilities for support and supervision.
- Provide training for local staff in line with the appropriate international and South Sudan guidelines.
- Carry out assessments to locations with newly identified emergency needs and report back on needs.
- Ensure regular monitoring and evaluation of intervention implementation.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Assist the Project Manager to manage and oversee the assigned local nutrition team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Assist in facilitating regular team meetings with the assigned nutrition team, reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback.
- Ensure the assigned nutrition team members receive relevant and appropriate supervision, coaching, mentoring and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding. This may be through on-the-job training and taught sessions.
- Promote the health and security of the nutrition team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Assist in the recruitment of local field staff within the intervention location.
- Work with the Project Manager and other Nutrition Managers to manage finances within the field location.
Communication and Coordination
- Represent Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering of needed stocks and supplies to the field location in coordination with the Project Manager.
- Manage all stocks within the field location ensuring proper stock keeping records are in place.
- Monitor expiration dates of all stocks in the field location to ensure timely use.
- Assist team in intervention planning and preparations in line with intervention check-list.
- Implement, as far as is possible within operational constraints, relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
- Participate as requested in Medair internal workshops and distance learning sessions to keep up with changing trends, new guidelines and best practices.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in nutrition.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years of post-qualification experience as nutritionist. Experience working in a nutrition programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Able to develop effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, and local authorities.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Good report writing, problem solving and excellent organisational skills.
- Able to prioritise clearly, enforce procedures, set clear objectives and delegate.
- Committed to consultative and servant minded leadership.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
- Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.