Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
Oversees all rapid emergency projects within DR.Congo in response to acute emergencies: disease outbreaks, displacement due to conflict, and above-emergency levels of malnutrition. The emergency response component is decentralized from several project bases and entails four sectors of work – WASH, infrastructure, health, and nutrition. This will currently mean supervising approximately 20 rapid responses (based on current levels of budget) which deploy in 3 provinces (Ituri, Nord Kivu, and Sud Kivu).
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in D.R. Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
- Manage activity plan for the designated project(s), including resource needs analysis, time frame, etc.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects.
- Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors, line managers, etc.
- Ensure all documents are produced and filed according to Medair and donor guidelines.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at meetings.
- Attend OCHA meetings and meetings relevant to specific emergencies and emergency responses.
- Liaise regularly with UNOCHA, cluster leads and co-leads (WASH, health, nutrition, NFI) and other emergency response partners in discussing potential or current emergencies.
- Coordinate with other rapid response actors (NRC, Mercy Corps, RRMP actors, etc.).
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within timeframe.
- Monitor the spending to ensure they operate in line guidelines for financial accounting and reporting.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Promote the health and security of the staff by ensuring the application of security guidelines.
- Monitor and review the security status of the area(s) of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
- Ensure all staff members and all visitors receive appropriate briefings in security-related topics.
- Train and support relevant Project Manager(s) in security planning, management and implementation.
- Ensure project(s) are implemented in line with donor requirements and with international standards.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Leadership and project management skills.
- Good report and proposal writing skills. Good negotiation skills. Problem solving ability.
- Consultative and servant leadership with excellent communication skills and training willingness.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Dynamic, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, self-motivated and hard-working.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.