Provide leadership for Emergency Response Team (ERT) field sites and staff, including planning and conducting WASH assessments and interventions, creating work plans for emergency responses, ensuring quality implementation of WASH activities, line managing junior members of the ERT WASH team, and acting as team leader at ERT field sites.
The goal of the WASH ERT is to reduce morbidity and mortality among populations affected by acute emergencies through the provision of water, sanitation and hygiene promotion services. The Medair ERT works across all 28 states of South Sudan in response to acute emergencies: displacement due to conflict or disasters, returnee and refugee influxes, disease outbreaks and in emergency level malnutrition. The ERT has teams across four sectors – Health, Nutrition, Non-Food Items (NFIs) / Emergency Shelter and WASH, with teams working together in field sites. Multiple emergency response sites are active at any given time.
Take a look at Medair’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
August 2018. Full time, minimum 1 year contract.
Key Activity Areas
Technical Design and Oversight
- Develop and manage work plans for field activities – regularly updating work plans and objectives to meet changing needs and gaps. Help determine budget and timelines for activities.
- Oversee the technical design and implementation of the projects – including water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion activities.
- Support regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against ERT project indicators.
Staff Management and Leadership
- Line manage two WASH Technicians.
- Conduct appraisals, manage R&R and holiday schedules, manage contracts, provide development & training opportunities, and support the physical and spiritual wellbeing for WASH staff.
- Manage and supervise additional re-locatable staff, locally hired staff, casual labourers and contracted workers when in field sites.
- When requested, act as the overall field site leader, in charge of security and staff health issues, and overall coordination between teams.
- When requested, cover for the WASH Project Manager (PM) position.
Coordination and Reporting
- Take part in all WASH Coordination meetings as appropriate.
- Liaise with relevant WASH NGOs, UN agencies and government WASH offices (Rural and Urban Water) or other government agencies involved in WASH planning.
- Liaise with local authorities at the beginning of assessments, and throughout WASH activities.
- Feedback regularly and work in line with received guidance and direction from WASH PM.
- Provide a week-end report to the WASH PM in Juba each week – detailing activity updates, work plan updates, materials needed and other key information.
- Complete ToRs, assessments and intervention reports in a timely manner.
- Monitor stock levels, and submit stock and purchase requests in a timely manner. Ensure an accurate record of all assets and stocks at WASH field sites are maintained and circulated.
- Manage local procurement for all WASH items.
- Supervise the management of field team budget and cash.
- Manage submission of all finance, stock and purchase requests to Juba, and manage WASH finances, procurement, warehousing, and transport at field sites.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in a field relevant to WASH-related field (eg. civil engineering, hydrogeology / hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 year post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field as a Manager.
- Technical experience with WASH infrastructure (e.g. latrine designs, borehole installation, hand pump repair, and construction of hand dug wells) and software / training (behaviour change communication).
- Strong communication skills.
- Diplomatic and sensitive to cross cultural issues.
- Able to oversee varied tasks at the same time.
- Desire to contribute to the team and foster unity.
- Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
- Capacity to work under pressure and on tight deadlines.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.