The purpose of the Education Support Initiative (ESI) is to recruit, hire and maintain technical, professional, operational, and support staff that supply services to the United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Education Office and education sector. ESI, contracted through Dexis Consulting Group, is recruiting for a Senior Education Data Specialist who will be embedded within USAID’s Office of Education and support specifically the Evidence Team.
The Senior Education Data Specialist will sit on the Evidence Team within the Education Policy and Planning Division, Office of Education, Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and Environment (E3/ED/EPP). S/he will report directly to the Evidence Team Lead.
The Senior Education Data Specialist will be responsible for portfolio-level monitoring and reporting needs for the USAID education sector. S/he will lead the development, implementation, and institutionalization of systematic efforts to collect, aggregate, and report data that address USAID education strategic priorities. S/he will ensure that the E3 Office of Education is able to clearly and accurately report on the scope and scale of the USAID education portfolio, investments, outputs, and outcomes in a manner appropriate to key audiences and stakeholders. S/he will support the use of reporting resources within USAID.
The incumbent will work in close coordination with the Contracts Officer Representative (COR) who oversees the Data and Evidence for Education Programs (DEEP) contract. Through the COR, S/he will inform, facilitate, and review contractor efforts relevant to this position, including: implement data collection efforts via E3/ED and USAID systems; develop reports and communication materials; build and curate an appropriately governed collection of microdata available for dissemination via data.usaid.gov.
- Serve as the initial point of contact to Mission education offices and program offices, regional bureau education offices, and other stakeholders, with the purpose of facilitating data reporting and the use of portfolio reporting resources;
- Ensure the collection of high quality, timely data through USAID and E3/ED systems, including the annual Performance Plan Report (PPR) and ad-hoc data requests;
- Lead the development and use of talking points and internal reporting and documentation resources, support the development external communication materials;
- Coordinate the development of indicators and tools needed to measure and report results that can be used and understood consistently across the USAID education portfolio;
- Coordinate efforts to build and curate a complete, well documented collection of USAID education microdata available for dissemination via data.usaid.gov. Facilitate intra-agency effort to establish and implement appropriate data governance practices (concerning the protection of respondent privacy, for example);
- Contribute to dialogue on harmonization of standards and practices that will facilitate improved sharing and use of data and evidence across USAID, U.S. Government Agencies, and other donors.
Successful candidates will possess five (5+) or more years of professional experience relevant to several (but not necessarily all) of the following qualifications, hold a masters degree in a relevant field, and will be enthusiastic about obtaining further qualifications on the job:
- Strong attention to detail, organization;
- Exceptional ability to engage and communicate on complex technical issues with non-technical audience, including email communication with remote colleagues, across cultural divides;
- Professional experience monitoring results (outputs and outcomes) relevant to the fields of international education or international development, preferably experienced monitoring results across a broad portfolio of activities or settings;
- Professional experience managing large collections of detailed data and information, preferably in the fields of international education or international development;
- Professional experience managing or implementing data governance policies or protocols associated with evaluating the sensitivity of data, including evaluating data risk-utility trade-offs, preferably as relevant to the fields of international education or international development;
- Familiarity with approaches to measuring outcomes and outputs associated with USAID Education strategic priorities;
- Professional experience collecting or reporting on USAID standard indicators, preferably as relevant to the fields of international education or international development;
- Professional experience developing indicators and indicator frameworks, preferably as relevant to the fields of international education or international development;
- Familiarity with principles of data lifecycle management, preferably as relevant to the fields of international education or international development;
- Familiarity with USAID enterprise reporting and data-management systems, such as FACTSInfo NextGen, Development Data Library (DDL), Development Information Systems (DIS);
- Professional experience managing or implementing sample-based survey data collection including documentation, IRB review, sample design, instrument development, data cleaning, anonymization, preferably as relevant to the fields of international education or international development;
If you are passionate about this opportunity, submit your application by clicking the apply for this job online button.
Only those applicants who meet the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
Dexis is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the US Armed Forces.