In support of the US Agency for International Development (USAID) in Ethiopia and the US Forest Service Office of International Programs (USFS), Management and Engineering Technologies International, Inc (METI) may seek one full-time program director to implement, manage and oversee a disaster risk management program in Ethiopia for three years. This skills search outlines activities and objectives for a potential full-time program director position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic direction for project implementation and long-term sustainability including multi-stakeholder engagement, coordination, empowering government of Ethiopia partners and ensuring program activities can transition to government stakeholders at the end of three years;
- Provide reporting and program implementation information on a regular basis to USFS/IP Washington, USAID/Ethiopia, and local partners;
- Finalize work plans, budgets, and monitoring and evaluation frameworks;
- Recruit, hire and supervise personnel and overall team function-local hires and short-term consultants as needed to implement program activities within Ethiopia;
- Organize technical assistance missions for USFS/IP and USAID experts in support of program goals;
- Collaborate closely with humanitarian and development assistance partners in Ethiopia working on disaster risk management to ensure Ethiopia’s DRM system is well known and utilized by international partners;
- Lead program design, implementation and overall management, ensuring the program considers political and cultural aspects of the Ethiopian context;
- Maintain effective relationships with senior leadership of relevant disaster management organizations.
· Experience managing USAID projects overseas;
o Experience in Ethiopia or elsewhere in sub-Saharan Africa preferred;
· Experience recruiting and managing a team of staff;
· Prior experience with humanitarian principles and programs desired;
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
· Proven ability to work well with multi-level stakeholders;
· Familiarity with USAID policies and procedures including reporting, indicators and monitoring and evaluation;
- Ability and interest in managing and mentoring a team of project staff;
· Demonstrated leadership and management skills;
· Professional written and spoken proficiency in English required;
· Strong ability to work independently in difficult conditions while maintaining productivity;
· Excellent organizational skills.
Position Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with local travel in support of project activities.
· If a qualified applicant is located, the individual would be hired through a contractor.
Please email your resume or CV and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org by June 22, 2020. Please include “Ethiopia Disaster Risk Management Program Director” in the subject line. In the body of the email, please indicate where you saw this posting.
About the Organization
Management and Engineering Technologies International, Inc. (METI) works in support of the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) Office of International Programs by hiring staff to work on international natural resource projects. The USFS Office of International Programs promotes sustainable natural resource management and biodiversity conservation internationally. By linking the skills of the field-based staff of the USFS with partners overseas, the agency can address the world’s most critical forestry issues and concerns. The USFS regularly engages the agency's wide range of expertise in over 90 countries, for programs on sustainable forest management, climate change, combatting illegal logging, fire management, and other topics.