In May 2015, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) awarded a five-year performance management support contract – PERFORM to Management Systems International (MSI). Under PERFORM MSI provides monitoring support, evaluations, assessments, and learning support services to USAID. These services provide evidence-based data and information and high-quality analysis that USAID program managers use to target resources and inform project design and implementation to improve project results and achieve objectives.
MSI is seeking an evaluation expert to lead a final evaluation of the USAID-funded U.S.-Pakistan Partnership for Agricultural Market Development (AMD) project. AMD seeks to strengthen four value chains (livestock; high value and off-season vegetables; citrus; and mango) by providing grants to agricultural enterprises designed to improve domestic and international market linkages and increase the efficiency, quality, and profitability of production and marketing practices.
The team lead will oversee a team of 8-10 people, including local subject matter experts and supporting field researchers and data analysts. The team lead will work in consultation with and under the overall supervision of the PERFORM evaluation/assessment advisor and PERFORM chief of party. The team lead will oversee all technical aspects of the evaluation, including document review, evaluation design, planning, implementation, and data analysis and reporting, in accordance with established PERFORM processes and USAID guidance. The team leader is ultimately responsible for completing a high-quality evaluation within the stipulated timeframe and meeting key milestones during the course of the assignment. The ideal candidate should have knowledge of agricultural value chains and value chain interventions, as well as extensive experience leading evaluation teams for USAID or other international donors, preferably in Pakistan.
The evaluation will begin on or about March 1, 2019 and conclude by the end of June 2019. Anticipated level of effort for the team lead is approximately 40-50 days.
In collaboration with MSI staff and team members, the team lead will be responsible for performing the following tasks:
- Review relevant background documents to develop an understanding of the project.
- Refine the evaluation design and methods and leading the team planning workshop.
- Develop data collection instruments, a data collection plan, and a data analysis plan.
- Brief USAID staff prior to field work.
- Guide the fieldwork and ensuring quality of the information collected.
- Conduct interviews with key project stakeholders and documenting notes from interviews conducted.
- Review the work of assignment team members and ensuring quality of interim work products.
- Guide the qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Synthesize findings, conclusions, and recommendations based on available primary and secondary evidence.
- Present results to USAID and implementing partners.
- Conduct validation activities with AMD stakeholders, as requested by the Mission and/or PERFORM.
- Produce a final evaluation report and briefing papers or other deliverables, as requested by USAID and/or PERFORM.
- At least a master’s degree in agricultural economics, supply chain management, organizational development, or another relevant field with at least 15 years of professional experience; or a Ph.D. with at least 10 years of experience.
- Experience leading evaluations of USAID or other donor projects (preferably in Pakistan) required. Experience evaluating value chain interventions preferred.
- Familiarity with USAID performance management processes and USAID evaluation policy guidelines required.
- Knowledge of agricultural value chain indicators and/or private sector engagement, adoption of new practices/technologies, or job creation in the agricultural sector preferred.
- Knowledge of USAID grant management (including partner selection, grant selection and design, project management, grant sustainability, etc.) preferred.
- Fluency in quantitative and qualitative research methods required. Knowledge of various data analysis tools such as MS Excel, SPSS, Stata, NVivo, or MaxQDA preferred.
- Ability/willingness to conduct field work where appropriate and otherwise oversee fieldwork activities remotely.
- Excellent analytical and personal communication skills.
- Excellent report writing skills in English. Besides analytical skills, this is the primary skill required and candidates should be able to demonstrate prior experience in writing high quality evaluation and research reports for USAID or other donors.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.