Abt Associates seeks a qualified Evaluation Team Lead for an upcoming land reform and property rights evaluation project. The Evaluation Team Lead is anticipated to support the design and implementation of performance and/or impact evaluations of the MCC Land Project in Togo. The objectives of this project are to (1) expand access to formalized land by identifying and legitimizing customary land rights; (2) move the legitimized rights into the formal system; (3) improve the formal system so that it effectively protects legitimate land rights; and (4) expand inclusive access to land by ensuring that recognition of women’s rights, already recognized in formal law, are fully incorporated into practice.
Indicative Roles and Responsibilities
Provide technical support and quality assurance for the evaluation
- Leads the design and implementation of the evaluation;
- Designs and/or oversees the development of a sampling plan, survey instruments, and other evaluation materials;
- Oversees the quantitative and qualitative data collection of the evaluation;
- Produces high-quality evaluation reports and other deliverables, integrating and interpreting quantitative and qualitative findings;
- Ensures consistent and transparent quality control methods for all contracted tasks and functions; and ensures compliance with MCC rules, regulations and policies while meeting project/program targets.
Management of evaluation team and stakeholder engagement
- Responsible for overall and day-to-day management of project activities, involving multiple tasks across multiple locations;
- Responsible for project planning, work plans, and for the overall compilation of all deliverables under the contract;
- Travels as needed to consult with key stakeholders, disseminates results and lessons learned, and participates in events promoting the lessons learned from each project or activity.
- Masters in Economics, Agriculture, or related Social Science study (e.g. Public Policy, Statistics, Development Studies), PhD preferred;
- Demonstrated experience in land reform and governance, property rights and/or land access, preferably in Togo and/or Francophone Africa;
- A minimum of 10 years of experience designing and implementing rigorous impact and/or performance evaluations, including collecting and/or analyzing data and conducting quantitative and/or qualitative research;
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary teams to include managing subcontractor/partner roles;
- Experience coordinating projects with multiple stakeholders that may be geographically diverse, including both government and non-government parties;
- Experience developing and implementing quality assurance/control procedures for data collection;
- Strong economic, statistics and econometrics skills preferred, such as experience with detailed, high-level data analysis and sampling and experience with the design, and implementation of quantitative household or enterprise surveys in developing country contexts;
- Fluency in English and
- Familiarity with MCC’s objectives, approaches, and operations, and familiarity with MCC’s Evaluation Policy;
- Experience with social inclusion and gender research, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Field experience in Francophone Africa, or Togo specifically.
To be considered for this opportunity, you must meet the required qualifications. Qualified applicants must submit the following to CIE@abtassoc.com:
- Required: Updated résumé;
- Encouraged: Cover Letter that describes the applicant’s qualifications with relevance to the scope of work;
- Please include the job title in the email subject line.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com