Position Type: Consultant (short-term)
Work Location: Kigali, Rwanda
ME&A is recruiting a Team Leader for the mid-term performance evaluation of the USAID Feed the Future Ngurisa Nshore Activity in Rwanda. The Ngurisa Nshore Activity is designed to crowd-in finance (debt and equity) for the small firms that are not yet realizing the benefits of Rwanda’s strong economic performance, thereby driving economic growth and fueling non-farm rural employment for the next generation. By working with financial institutions, investors, public, and private sector business development service providers, and a variety of government ministries and initiatives, Ngurisa Nshore seeks to strengthen and improve existing public-private platforms.
The purpose of the Nguriza Nshore Activity is to foster rural economic growth by facilitating the emergence of a dynamic small and medium enterprise (SME) and agribusiness sector. By alleviating constraints to investment and increasing access to finance, Nguriza Nshore will accelerate the creation and growth of off-farm SMEs as an entry point for widespread economic growth and social development, increasing productive employment for rural populations, creating opportunities for entrepreneurs and reducing poverty throughout the country.
The anticipated period of performance for the evaluation will be 3-4 months starting in late May 2021. However, we expect some flexibility on the task dates for this activity according to the evolving COVID-19 situation in Rwanda.
International team leader (senior evaluation specialist/economist) experienced in leading evaluations of agriculture or food security sector projects with preferable experience in market systems development, access to finance, and/or SME support projects and with experience doing economic modeling, in particular experience with economic/employment multipliers.
Specifically, the TL will
- Manage team members and direct their contributions and outputs.
- Serve as the lead and will have overall responsibility for the evaluation quality and timeliness, including design, such as the protocol and questionnaire finalization; preparation, including various procedural, managerial, and training elements; direction; and oversight of the evaluation implementation, analysis, and report writing;
- Provide training to the survey subcontractor, if applicable, on translation, questionnaire pretesting, and listing procedures
- Supervise the locally hired experts, coordinators, and enumerators.
- Ensure that the team members strictly adhere to the evaluation timeline.
- Throughout the process, demonstrate cultural sensitivity, particularly when interacting with range of stakeholders.
- Guarantee complete independence and integrity of the performance evaluation.
- Finalize the evaluation design, coordinate field activities, provide regular field progress reports (oral or written), arrange periodic meetings, consolidate individual input form team members, and coordinate the process of assembling the findings and recommendations into a high-quality document.
- Responsible for reviewing all relevant documentation, producing a work plan, planning and oversight of data collection efforts, and ensuring the timeliness and quality of deliverables.
- Will be primary point of contact between USAID and the review team and has the responsibility for submission of all deliverables.
- Responsible for coordination and collaboration with other points of contacts identified by the client.
- Develop the draft evaluation report that includes sections on Evaluation Purpose and Questions; Project Background; Evaluation Methods and Limitations; Findings and Conclusions, and Recommendations.
- Responsible for the evaluation report, including writing many sections of the report.
- Prepare a Power Point presentation outlining key findings and recommendations.
- Present the findings to client and other stakeholders.
- Master’s degree or higher in a relevant discipline such as Economics, Agriculture, Business Administration, Management and Marketing, Ph.D. preferred.
- At least 12 years of experience in evaluations of agriculture or food security sector projects with preferable experience in market systems development, access to finance, and/or SME support projects and with experience doing economic modeling, in particular experience with economic/employment multipliers. for USAID or other international development agencies.
- Strong knowledge and experience of rural development, community resilience, and gender.
- Knowledge of USAID regulations and systems, performance monitoring and evaluation guidance, evaluation policy, gender policy, annual reporting etc.
- Experience working in the Rwanda region with local communities and partners.
- Excellent knowledge of evaluation approaches, specifically expertise in qualitative and quantitative methods of data collection and analysis.
- Experience using qualitative and quantitative data analysis tools and software; conducting KIIs and FGDs, and supervising data collection.
- Significant experience in designing questionnaires, focus group discussion guides and interview protocols.
- Has excellent evaluation report writing skills (in English) that synthesizes input and triangulates data from multiple sources into a high-quality document.
- Excellent oral communication, presentation, and inter-personal skills in English.
- Fluency in French preferred.
All applications and CVs must be submitted in English.
ME&A, Inc. is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. ME&A will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. For our EEO Policy Statement and a copy of our EEO Policy Statement and information on your EEO rights under the law.
About the Organization
ME&A is a qualified small business, dedicated to providing creative solutions for economic development and social development throughout the world. Our Core Areas of Concentration include Monitoring & Evaluations, Economic and Community Development, Public Administration and Governance, and Business Development and Technology Transfer.
ME&A’s staff of professionals are dedicated to pursuing excellence in the principles, practices and processes of their professions. We are a client-oriented organization committed to upholding the highest of professional standards and being a responsible corporate citizen.
We believe in creative teaming with other partners, maintaining strong professionalism and ethics in meeting our objectives, and utilizing our multicultural skills to better understand and communicate with our clients. ME&A pursues and embraces our client’s organizational and programmatic goals. We work as a team, whereever appropriate, to bring collective knowledge to bear in creating developmental solutions.
ME&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer.