The QED Group, under the SIMPLE monitoring and evaluation project with USAID/Egypt, is seeking to engage the services of an international consultant lead the design and implementation of an end-of-term performance evaluation of the USAID/Egypt Strengthening Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development (SEED) project. The consultant will serve as team leader and evaluator for the overall reporting to the Cairo-based SIMPLE Senior Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Advisor or his designate. The evaluation is expected to start in January-February 2020 with an estimated level of effort of approximately 50-60 work days with about 45 work days in Egypt (with a six day work week while in the field).
The USAID Strengthening Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development (SEED) project is a multifaceted effort that works along the continuum from entrepreneurship to enterprise development to commercially viable and sustainable linkages in high potential value chains. With an emphasis on women and youth, it also addresses one of Egypt’s most distinguishing characteristics – a very young, talented, and under employed population. Working primarily with entrepreneurship and micro, medium and small enterprises (MSME) service providers, the ultimate goal of SEED will be measured by the level of capacity and outreach to disadvantaged communities that each beneficiary maintains long after the conclusion of the project. The implementing partner’s strategic and operational approach to the SEED project is to provide a sustainable response that fulfils each of five results that USAID proposed: stimulated entrepreneurship among women and youth (A.1); improved availability and accessibility of entrepreneurship services, with a focus on business incubators and accelerators (A.2); improved availability and accessibility of effective and efficient business development services (BDS) (B.1); improved availability and accessibility of financial products and services (B.2); and integrated MSMEs into value chains (C.1). SEED beneficiaries include Egypt’s entrepreneurs and MSMEs, women and youth MSMEs, schools and universities, Egyptian entrepreneurs disadvantaged populations and mature entrepreneurs in disadvantaged areas, and financial institutions/MFIs and sector/industry associations.
The end-of-term evaluation will focus on assessing achievement and overall performance of the activity. It will pick up from the mid-term evaluation to determine the changes made based on recommendations and the results achieved. The evaluation will answer specific evaluation questions to be determined and the recommendations put forward may inform the design of similar activities in the future.
SIMPLE is seeking to engage the services of a senior international consultant specialized in evaluating Entrepreneurship and Enterprise development activities to serve as team leader, collaborating with the SIMPLE evaluation team to design and conduct an end-of-term performance evaluation of the SEED project.
The consultant will serve as team leader and evaluator for the overall evaluation reporting to the locally-based SIMPLE Senior M&E Advisor or his designate. The senior international consultant will collaborate in designing and refining the mixed methods performance evaluation tools, analysis of quantitative and qualitative data, ensure that sound methodological and quality assurance practices are applied, incorporate generally accepted evaluation best practices, and use the evaluation’s findings to construct a comprehensive report as per USAID guidance.
- Conduct a desk review and provide technical guidance to the team on the mixed methods to be used in the end-of-term performance evaluation.
- Collaborate on the development and finalization of end-of-term performance evaluation design documents including: evaluation work plan with data collection and analysis plan, data quality assurance plans, analysis plan and other relevant design documents.
- Lead the evaluation team in the development and finalization of the performance evaluation work plan including the identification of key stakeholders as well as developing/presenting data collection tools and field data collection plan to USAID for approval.
- Conduct data collection activities as per the USAID approved data collection tools and work plan.
- Lead the qualitative and quantitative analysis of all information/data collected within the USAID approved timeline.
- Supervise the work of evaluation team members throughout the contract period.
- Lead the preparation and presentation of findings, conclusions and recommendations for debriefing relevant USAID Program Office and Office of Economic Growth staff.
- Prepare the draft and final results report, expanded executive summary and, as appropriate, any statement of differences in response to comments from relevant USAID and key stakeholder reviewers.
- Follow all SIMPLE processes and procedures in the execution of the evaluation.
Field experience that includes the following:
- A master’s degree, PhD is preferable, in Social Sciences or equivalent.
- 10 years of demonstrated experience leading, designing and implementing evaluations in general; experience evaluating USAID-funded projects preferred; experience evaluating MSME / SME-related projects highly desired.
- Experience in MSME / SME sector development highly desired. This could include textiles, ready-made garments, food industry, tourism, or furniture sectors.
- Demonstrated experience developing structured key informant protocols, group discussion protocols and paper and pencil-based survey instruments.
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative and qualitative methods for data analysis, including survey data.
- Demonstrated experience preparing final results reports and PowerPoint presentations of key findings, conclusions and recommendations of field research.
- Demonstrated data visualization skills highly desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to be flexible and work well under pressure, dealing with competing priorities, in a fast-paced team environment.
- Experience in Egypt a plus.
- Fluency in English required.
About the Organization
The QED Group, LLC, is a full-service international consulting firm committed to solving complex global challenges through innovative solutions. We are determined to provide all our clients with best-value services so they increase their efficiency, learning capacity, and accountability to the public in an ever more complex and interconnected world. Through Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning and Knowledge Management practice areas, QED is working to maximize our clients' return on investment through accountability, continuous learning, and sound management.
To know more about our organization, you can visit our website, www.qedgroupllc.com