The Events Management Specialist will be responsible for the continued development and implementation of a structured approach and a framework for the organization of conferences and events led by the Division of Country Programming; managing all operational aspects of internal and external events in close collaboration with relevant internal divisions and external stakeholders.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead the preparation of the annual cycle of events, including but not limited to the GCF Structured Dialogue events, specialized workshops and conferences at regional and global level;
- Support the country and entity teams in the identification of potential host countries, based on specific regional dynamics and needs. Facilitating the negotiations of legal agreements with the Host countries and Delivery Partners;
- Develop standard operational and technical requirements for the delivery partners to be involved for individual or multiple events, engaging with potential counterparts and delivery partners on the operationalization and management of the event delivery. Improving the overall event management process in the GCF context, based on the lessons learned;
- Manage the operational planning and implementation of events, including the coordination of inputs from relevant internal and external counterparts, invitation and registration processes, administrative and substantive support to the country and entity teams in developing the event agendas;
- Support the arrangements for sponsored participants in line with the GCF policy and the overall procurement of services undertaken by the delivery partners;
- Oversee all practical arrangements on site in close coordination with the host countries and delivery partners, acting as a GCF interface responsible for the logistics;
- Coordinate the preparation of relevant information notes for participants and content-related briefing notes for internal use by the GCF;
- Facilitate the delivery of communication components of events in collaboration with the Division of External Affairs / Communications team, including the visual identity, event branded materials for participants, liaison with photographers on site and other relevant activities;
- Engage with relevant counterparts within and outside of the organization in the development of an approach to lowering the environmental impact and carbon footprint of the GCF events (the concept of sustainable events);
- Coordinate the development of event-specific components for the GCF website, including the archive of events;
- Oversee the implementation of event supporting technology, including a streamlined participant registration system, networking and meeting scheduling apps, etc;
- Develop the internal manual on protocol and ceremonial matters, and providing advice on its practical application;
- Support the arrangements for incoming visits to the GCF Headquarters by relevant national authorities, regional and international partners; and
- Perform other related duties, as required.
Expected experience and qualifications*
- Master’s degree in management, economics, social sciences or related fields;
- At least 7 years of progressive professional experience in conference and event management at the international level in the context of intergovernmental organizations and/or the United Nations, expertise in protocol and management of support staff;
- Familiarity with processing information requests from a range of stakeholders is an advantage;
- Ideal candidates will require analytical and organizational skills, sound judgement, decision making abilities, be tactful and diplomatic, and be capable of working under strict timelines;
- Ability to read and communicate fluently in English; the ability to read and communicate in one or more other major languages (French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic) is desirable;
- Strong competence and autonomy in the use of standard software programmes: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access;
- Experience of establishing strong working relationships with colleagues from different functions and cultures, experience of coordinating projects across teams (including remote teams) and organizations. Familiarity with the GCF approach to events and engagement of external partners is an advantage.
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. The above criteria should be seen as indicators of the experience and skills that would qualify candidates for consideration. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references.
Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
About the Organization
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their peoples.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions which reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
Since its establishment, the GCF has mobilized 10.3 billion USD, accredited 54 entities to channel its resources and approved 43 funding proposals. In addition, it has built up an extensive program to support developing countries identify their needs, in particular those who are most vulnerable to climate change impacts.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff make unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
We are looking to expand our team with more highly skilled and adaptable people who are driven by our mandate, people who appreciate challenges and know how to deliver and thrive in a fast moving, dynamic environment.