Requisition ID: req2491
Job Title: Executive Assistant
Sector: Administrative/General Office
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
Comprised of five distinct but overlapping functional areas, the Operations & Strategy department is coherent in structure and working towards coherence in planning and delivery. Until recently, the different parts of the department have grown independently and organically. In this context, the Executive Assistant’s primary responsibility is to provide high quality, core administrative support to the Senior Vice President (SVP) of Operations & Strategy in continuing to build an effective and performance-focused department. Reporting to the SVP and working closely with all senior leaders, this important role will help the SVP develop a well-functioning, efficient and results-oriented department. The Executive Assistant will also work closely with colleagues in all HQ departments particularly in Human Resources, Global Supply Chain, Information Technology, Business Resiliency, and Strategy. The position is responsible for managing a range of administrative and logistical support services for the SVP including scheduling, managing administrative processes, facilitating communication, coordinating travel arrangements and tracking departmental expenses. A critical part of the role is operating as the pro-active, visible leader among peers across the Operations & Strategy support staff.
* Manage the daily workflow of the SVP, including scheduling, coordinating travel and managing appointments
* Assist as necessary in the organization and support of meetings and conferences
* Assist in the preparation of meeting materials, including data collection, preparation and assembly of materials
* Coordinate travel arrangements as needed, including flight, accommodation, visa application and ground transportation
* Track next steps on meeting outcomes and communications
* Prepare reports for the SVP by researching, transcribing, inputting, editing and retrieving text, data, and graphics from multiple sources of information and meetings
* Receive and greet visitors as needed
* Process expense reports and invoices
* Assist with the preparation, editing, scanning, copying and distribution of written correspondence - including PowerPoint and other document formats
* Assist with the administrative aspects of budget management for departments overseen by the SVP
* Coordinate with Executive Assistants of other HQ departments to plan cross-functional leadership meetings
* Collaborate with Executive Assistants of other HQ departments to plan activities and events to promote a positive work culture and encourage interaction within and across teams in Operations & Stategy
* Plan, communicate and execute key Operations & Strategy Unit projects and initiatives from inception to completion
* Perform other job related duties, as assigned.
Position Reports to: Senior Vice President, Operations & Strategy
* Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders with tact and diplomacy, both orally and in writing
* Minimum 3 years of full-time professional work experience, with at least 2 years of experience working as an Executive Assistant to senior leadership or in a comparable role
* Ability to organize, plan, schedule, determine priorities and meet deadlines
* Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
* Excellent presentation and meeting arrangement skills - a good understanding of how to create high impact settings
* Service-orientation and flexibility, commitment to help and support in a fast-paced, fast-changing environment
* Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, ability to maintain positive working relationships at all organizational levels
* Ability to take initiative, function independently and navigate ambiguity
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Must have strong attention to detail, excellent discretion, judgment, tact, initiative, creativity, critical thinking, organizational skills, and self-motivation
* Demonstrated interest in the humanitarian sector and the IRC’s mission
* Bachelor’s degree (or higher)
* Strong computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
* Standard office work environment
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their futures. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities that support them, as well as with those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC has defined a new strategic mission and vision. The IRC’s strategy (IRC2020) centers on its ambition to improve the scale and effectiveness of IRC programs worldwide with evidence of what works best to impact people’s lives in conflict and fragile settings.
The Operations & Strategy Department is responsible for delivering the infrastructure capacity and strategic oversight to deliver on IRC2020. The Strategy Unit actively supports the planning and execution of specific strategy initiatives and key processes required to deliver on this vision through project management, portfolio management, and governance support. The Human Resources, Global Supply Chain, Information Technology, Business Resiliency and Strategy teams drive toward operational excellence and support the organization in fulfilling its mission through the provision of robust, scalable infrastructure.
About the Organization
From emergency response through post-conflict development work, in a great variety of roles around the world, the International Rescue Committee’s 8,000-plus staff is a force for humanity and hope. If you’re skilled and passionate, we’d like to add your energy to ours.
Careers at the IRC are as wide-ranging and far-reaching as our work. Encouraging staff development through promotion, transfer and rehire, the IRC nurtures long-term career paths and helps employees grow within the organization.
At any given moment, on any given day, all around the world, IRC staff members are restlessly and effectively working for the sake of the most vulnerable among us—to restore and renew hope, dignity and freedom.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.