ABOUT THE ROLE
The Executive Director (ED) leads Heartland Alliance International, one of four companies under the Heartland Alliance parent. The ED is responsible for the effective management of and strategic visioning and planning for the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, external representation, organizational performance, team cohesion and effective board relations. The position reports directly to the President of Heartland Alliance and is a member of the Heartland Alliance executive team. On governance matters, the ED will also be accountable to the chair of the board of Heartland Alliance International.
The successful candidate will have the following Qualifications:
- Education – master’s degree in international development, public health, social work, or a related human service or public policy field and relevant years of proven experience
- Communication & Language – Excellent verbal and written command of the English language is required. Persuasive public speaking capability. Ability to convey a vision of HAI’s strategic future to a global staff, its board, volunteers, donors, and collaborators in the sector. Strong preference for second language capability in Spanish, French, or Arabic.
- Travel – ability to travel 25% of the time to HAI Country Offices, sometimes in high risk locations
- Other - Strong analytical reasoning ability along with effective and proven collaborative team leadership skills required.
The ideal candidate will display a majority of the following Core Competencies:
- Leadership & Motivation
- Fundraising & Engagement
- Professionalism & Reliability
- Teamwork, Collaboration & Service Orientation
- Change Management
- Cultural Awareness & Interpersonal Humility
HOW TO APPLY
Prospective candidates interested in applying should contact our search partners, Perrett Laver. For an informal discussion about the role, contact Daniel Flynn at Daniel.email@example.com to hear more or address any questions you may have.
Only fully completed applications will be presented to Heartland Alliance International. Completed applications comprise both a cover letter and CV/resume. The cover letter should describe your personal motivation, interest, as well as how you feel suitable for the role at this time in your career. Salary history may be required. Completed applications should be uploaded at www.perrettlaver.com/candidates quoting reference number 3342 or sent directly to Daniel Flynn at Daniel.Flynn@perrettlaver.com.
The deadline for applications will be Tuesday, January 30th.
About the Organization
Heartland Alliance International (HAI) is the global arm of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a family of organizations that has been leading anti-poverty and social justice work in Chicago for nearly 130 years. We implement programs on a range of global human rights issues in Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
HAI ensures that people enjoy equality, justice, and universal rights; that women and children have health care and economic opportunities; that youth can stand up for their beliefs without persecution; that ethnic and sexual minorities have the right to live free from harm; and that survivors of torture and trauma have pathways to healing. With over 300 staff globally, a budget of $25m and growing, with operations in nine countries, active in 11, HAI is seeking an outstanding person to lead the organization as its next Executive Director, based in Chicago, Illinois.