Call for Applications for Executive Director @ The Engine Room (Remote Position)
The Engine Room supports activists and social change agents to make the most of data and technology to increase their impact. We are seeking our next Executive Director who can lead the organisation and advance our work.
About the Role
The Executive Director works closely with The Engine Room board and senior management team to meet organisational objectives, with a focus on strategy, management, administration, financial health, partnerships and fundraising, and is key to shaping and maintaining the strong organisational culture at The Engine Room.
Important: This role, and our whole team, is entirely remote. We encourage candidates based anywhere in the world between timezones GMT -7 and GMT + 2 to apply.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the following:
- A clear articulation of our organisational vision
- Shaping and leading our organisational strategy, fundraising, management, and delivery
- Designing, maintaining, and adapting a business model that can finance our impact
- Working closely with the board, the wider community of civil society, researchers, peer support organisations, and foundations
- Developing, supporting, and recruiting a diverse team in a remote work environment
- Identifying and incorporating emerging technologies into our service offer
- Building and maintaining relationships that lead to new business, in new sectors, with new partners
- Embodying our organisational values day-to-day and year-to-year
- Engaging in effective thought leadership to inform the future of the organisation and the sector
- Leading administration, finance, and legal management of the organisation
We are looking for candidates with the following skills, qualities and experience:
- Demonstrated executive experience, whether leading a team or an organization
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate effectively and excite others about the role technology can play in social change work
- Demonstrated fundraising experience
- Business acumen and an interest in how finance and operations can reinforce mission
- Expertise or significant competency in technology, data, and/or design
- Ability to work independently and to produce significant results in a timely manner
- Superb planning, organization and time management skills
- Management of multicultural and multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability to model self-awareness and a high degree of personal accountability
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to travel extensively
- Comfortable speaking in public forums, conferences and workshops
- Based somewhere between GMT -7 and GMT + 2
We would prefer that candidates have some combination of the following:
- Multilingual, with fluency in English and at least one other language
- Are strong facilitators
- Experience living and working internationally, or have travelled extensively in the global south
- Direct experience designing and leading digital change management in civil society organisations
- Demonstrated public speaking skills
- Qualitative or quantitative research skills, or experience leading teams of researchers
Salary for the next executive director will be based on experience, fit and location.
This is a rolling application process and we will be reviewing submissions as they come in. We will compile an initial shortlist by May 7th and invite these shortlisted candidates for introductory calls. We may continue to receive and consider applications submitted after this date. Applications must be received via the link on this page, applications received via email will not be considered.
About the Organization
About The Engine Room
We are technologists, strategists, researchers, designers, translators, and systems thinkers. Our team is located around the world, speaks 9 unique languages. The internet is our office. Candidates must have access to broadband internet connectivity and be comfortable working in a wholly virtual environment. We strongly welcome candidates from outside North America and Western Europe.
As an organisation, The Engine Room has valued diversity as a competency, and supported the development of a healthy organisational culture. We see leadership as a role that empowers others to do great things, and we’re proud to have invested in our operations and staff wellbeing alongside our programmatic work. To learn more about The Engine Room, see our 2017 or 2016 Annual Reports; follow us on Twitter @engnroom; or check out our Blog to read reflections and updates from the team.