Position: Executive Office Administrator
Location: Washington, DC with some travel when required
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Executive Office Administrator at RI provides administrative and strategic support to the CEO’s work with the boards, Leadership Team (LT) and Senior Management Team (SMT) to most effectively meet the organization’s operational and strategic goals.
The Executive Office Administrator is mature, energetic, patient, proactive, and a creative problem-solver who thrives in fast-paced environments with rapidly changing needs, juggles multiple priorities with ease, has excellent communication and interpersonal skills, exceptional organizational skills and exhibits personal responsibility and accountability and a great work ethic. The Executive Office Administrator handles highly confidential matters with professionalism, tact and discretion, and communicates with and maintains a collaborative alliance with internal and external stakeholders, including staff at all levels of the organization, board members, donors, government officials and others.
The Executive Office Administrator carries out duties in the following three major categories:
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Board of Directors Management
- Serves as a primary point of contact and support liaison to the members of Relief International’s Board of Directors. Escalates board communications, items for attention, and requests for CEO’s time in a prompt and professional manner.
- Where necessary, exercises ownership over event planning and logistical elements relating to meetings and retreats of RI Board of Directors.
- Reviews board material and follows up on action items with relevant stakeholders.
- Constantly reviews and updates the boards’ orientation and onboarding programs and administer them with new board members.
- Manages production and distribution process for board meeting information and materials. Facilitates preparation of agenda. Responsible for and formatting/design of board reports, and physical production, assembly, and mailing of board books per meeting.
- Independently drafts some board materials for CEO review.
Managing the Executive Office
- Undertakes special projects for the CEO or as directed by the CEO for other stakeholders. These projects may require independent research, planning and report writing.
- Drafts agendas and distribute minutes for biweekly SMT meetings (via video conference). Assists CEO with tracking follow-up (delegating action items, assigning responsibilities, enforcing deadlines, etc.) by others, and organizing follow-up by CEO on her/his action items.
- Serves as first point of contact for CEO. Serve to ensure the priorities of the office of the CEO are met through close collaboration with the CEO.
- Track and help prioritize activities within RI that require CEO’s attention
- Maintains executive calendar, keeps track of the CEO’s to-do list, and screens emails and calls to help set priorities.
- Maintains a close working relationship with external counterparts, particularly those with whom the CEO regularly works. Uses a high degree of discretion and judgment to handle correspondence and phone inquiries, speeding response and minimizing CEO handling. Drafts correspondence for CEO’s signature when appropriate.
- Responsible for booking all elements of the CEO’s travel needs both domestic and international (flights, train travel, hotel stays, vehicle rentals, etc.) and preparing meticulous itineraries.
- Coordinate logistics for all internal and external meetings supported by the Executive Office.
- Prepares all expense reports for the CEO in adherence with internal policies and deadlines. Tracks departmental budgets.
- Represents the Executive Office to internal and external audiences by providing desired information and handling routine inquiries directly
- Maintains Executive Office files. Heavy paper and electronic flow management, including all incoming email and hardcopy documentation, and maintenance of the filing system.
- Volunteers to serve on office teams, steering committees and other work groups to show collaborative spirit and willingness to support organization-wide employee activities.
- Support the establishment and continuing status of RI’s legal registration in various jurisdictions, including the United States, United Kingdom, Belgium and countries of operation.
- Supervises interns, if relevant.
- Determines nature of CEO’s appointments and develops or obtains necessary background materials. Handles preparation and distribution of meeting agendas and materials, as well as notifying participants of meeting dates and places.
- Researches topics and individuals as directed by the CEO and prepares confidential reports for CEO use.
- Coordinates research efforts in conjunction with the development of CEO’s talks and presentations. Works with CEO and Communications Department to prepare communications.
- Prepares for and briefs CEO prior to events and meetings regarding important developments and follow-up on resulting action items
- Supports CEO’s relationships with key collaborators and donors
- Helps the CEO with personalized contact with key donors to maintain a high level of engagement and relationship cultivation.
- Supports CEO’s efforts to maintain organization wide awareness of major events and campaign victories.
- Crafts and delivers both written and verbal presentations as required. Must be able to communicate with tact, judgment, empathy and energy.
- Undertakes other projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS :
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Bachelors degree with commensurate work experience.
- Minimum of five years professional experience in a similar role working with Board of Directors and high profile individuals.
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills Must write very well: clearly, concisely and energetically.
- Ability to think critically and creatively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues.
- Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interfacing skills and the ability to interact with domestic and international management and staff, donors, board members and government officials.
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office applications, especially Wo rd, Excel and PowerPoint
- Professional presence
- Multi-cultural experience, background and interest in international affairs preferred;
- Willingness and ability to work on late evenings or weekends, as necessary
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally as needed
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
WE ARE NOT WORKING WITH EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES AND WE DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED RESUMES FROM EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES
FOR ANY EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
About the Organization
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.