ABA ROLI is seeking a Wildlife Trafficking expert consultant to conduct an assessment on the relationship between wildlife trafficking and other transnational organized crime in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). The consultant will provide high-level expertise to ABA ROLI and its partners in LAC, in support of ABA ROLI’s work on countering wildlife trafficking (CWT) in Latin America and the Caribbean, in cooperation with the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS). While the assessment will review patterns and practices regionally, the expert consultant will visit two countries – Guatemala and Bolivia – for in-depth research on specific features of this criminal conduct in those contexts.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in wildlife trafficking and environmental crimes and experience conducting assessments in this area for U.S. funded programs. S/he will work closely with ABA ROLI’s LAC field and Washington, DC offices.
The role is for 2 months and is expected to begin immediately when filled.
- Conduct a factual and legal assessment, including relevant legal frameworks and ancillary legislation, of the relationship between wildlife trafficking and other transnational organized crime in the LAC region;
- Assess the potential use of ancillary legislation as an opportunity for higher penalties for wildlife crimes;
- Develop relationships with regional experts in law enforcement, international organizations, civil society and academia to inform the assessment;
- Develop and prepare a written report in English of the findings of the assessment;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Relevant Masters’ degree or law degree.
- At least 6 years of direct work experience on wildlife trafficking and environmental crimes, and related crimes.
- An understanding of transnational organized crime in Latin America and the Caribbean and related crimes, including those that facilitate wildlife trafficking in the region.
- Demonstrated experience advising, designing, and conducting assessments on wildlife trafficking in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Fluency in Spanish.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send you resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 50 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 500 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.
For more information about what we do at ABA ROLI please visit: https://www.americanbar.org/advocacy/rule_of_law/about.html