Project title: Support to effective air emissions and radiation monitoring, and improved environmental management in Belarus
Brief description: The objective of the assignment is to prepare the ground for the development and implementation of advanced data management methodologies in the field of emissions and environmental management in line with the PRTR Protocol to the Aarhus Convention.
The NKE input should contribute to the fulfilment of:
- A critical review of current methodologies on air emission inventories including inventory management
This task will include the collection of information on the procedures used for inventories in Belarus (national, regional, etc.) from different sources, including material submitted by the Beneficiary or other stakeholders, previous projects and available permits to be analysed in Sub-Activity 6.2 of this project. This will be followed by the review and comparison with internationally acknowledged standards for inventories, and best practices across the EU Member States and sectors. A Gap Analysis approach will provide the necessary recommendations to improve inventories, and where possible, provide recommendations of administrative/institutional nature.
- Pilot and test new, contemporary system of inventories
Two new inventory system proposals will be elaborated for submission to the Beneficiary. Two possibilities have been pre-identified: i) Prepare inventory in a large scope – e.g. at national level, or ii) Prepare inventory in small scope – at sector level.
- Development of a training programme on the new systems
The NKE will elaborate a training programme on the new systems, including: i) The inventory process; ii) Institutional arrangements; iii) The inventory quality framework; iv) Archiving, documentation and reporting; v) Inventory improvement; vi) Prospective participants from the relevant authorities and stakeholders. The Training Plan and the accompanying materials will be presented at future events under Sub-Activity 7.5 of the project.
Commencement date of the assignment: October 2018
Duration of the assignment: up to 16 working days in the period October 2018 - January 2019
Qualifications and skills
- University diploma in environmental engineering or equivalent;
- Fluency in English (written and spoken);
- Fluency in Russian and/or Belarusian (at least spoken) will be an advantage.
General professional experience
- Minimum of 15 years of general professional experience.
Specific professional experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the area of air emission inventories;
- Experience in EU funded projects in Eastern ENPI countries or countries of the CIS, ex- PHARE or IPA beneficiary countries would be an advantage;
- Experience in Belarus will be an advantage.