Project title: Support to effective air emissions and radiation monitoring, and improved environmental management in Belarus
Brief description: The objective of the assignment is to identify and analyze gaps between Belarus and EU in air quality monitoring and management systems with final purpose making justified recommendations and draft documents for improvement of these systems in the Republic of Belarus.
The NKE input should contribute to the fulfilment of:
- determination of the scope and tools for the information collection
- performing the assessment
- make recommendations for strengthening if the institutions´ capacity
- assisting in the assessment on how the resource requirements are addressed in EU
- supporting the assessment of local structure capacity
For analysing the current institutional structures and their capacity to adopt and implement new systems the scope and tools for the information collection need to be determined, in consultation with MNREP:
- structures to be involved (Central and regional structures, NEMS, Republican Centre for hydrometeorology, radiation control and environmental monitoring as well as others)
- aspects of capacity assessment to be considered (e.g. capacity to draft legislation and sub-legislation, inspections and other control, permitting, liaising with international organisation or foreign authorities)
- tools to be used in the assessment (interviews, questionnaires, interactive discussions at relevant events etc.) need to be identified.
Based on the information achieved, using the determined tools, an assessment of the gaps between the current capacity situation in Belarus and the resources required in relation to fulfilment of the EU acquis will performed in terms of i.a. number of people, their skills and equipment.
The analysis will provide recommendations on the steps to close the identified capacity gaps by strengthening of the institutions’ capacity at central, regional and local level, including institutional part (structures); human resources part (staff appointed); needs for equipment, guidebooks, etc; cost estimates for implementation; action plan and timetable.
Commencement date of the assignment: August 2018
Duration of the assignment: up to 10 working days in the period August 2018 – January 2019
Qualifications and skills
- University diploma in environmental science or equivalent;
- Fluency in English (written and spoken);
- Fluency in Russian and/or Belarusian (at least spoken).
General professional experience
- Minimum of 10 years of general professional experience.
Specific professional experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the area of ambient air quality issues;
- Experience in EU funded projects in in Eastern ENPI countries or countries of the CIS, ex- PHARE or IPA beneficiary countries would be an advantage;
- Acquaintance with Belarussian air monitoring and data collection will be an advantage.