TechnoServe is seeking proposals from external evaluators to conduct an assessment of the first phase results from TechnoServe Brazil’s Crescer program, and the effectiveness and efficiency of its implementation approach.
The Crescer Program aims to promote the inclusive and sustainable socioeconomic development of communities in the area of influence of the Anglo American - Iron Ore mining operations, contributing to economic diversification and reducing dependence on the mining sector. Beneficiary municipalities include Conceição do Mato Dentro, Serro, Alvorada de Minas, and Dom Joaquim. The Program, funded by contributions from Anglo American and the IDB Lab, was designed to achieve its objectives through three workstreams:
- Value chain development: Promoting the development of four value chains with a local economic focus: milk & cheese, horticulture, beekeeping and ecotourism. These activities are located in the area of direct and indirect influence of the mining operations, in the municipalities of Conceição do Mato Dentro, Dom Joaquim, Alvorada de Minas and Serro, all in the state of Minas Gerais. Participants in these value chains receive technical training and market access support, in addition to support in accessing credit.
- Rural workforce development: Promoting the personal and professional development of rural youth through entrepreneurship and skill-building so that these young people are able to take advantage of opportunities in the labor market or open a new business.
- Ecosystem strengthening: Supporting and building the capacity of several local institutions related to the target value chains to expand the scale of impact and guarantee the long-term sustainability of project results.
By June 2020, Crescer Program had benefited 594 people: rural producers in the selected value chains, youth from rural areas, and municipal public employees through the work of strengthening public management and promoting procurement of goods from local producers.
The objective of the evaluation is to conduct an assessment of the program’s results and the effectiveness and efficiency of its implementation approach.
The consultancy’s main deliverable is a Final Evaluation report for the project that addresses:
- The impact of the Program on the target groups of beneficiaries
- The results achieved in comparison with the objectives established Difficulties, risks, and challenges in project execution, including the impact of the public health emergency posed by COVID19
- Sustainability of the program and recommendations to ensure the sustainability of activities financed by the Program
- Lessons learned and recommendations for improvement of future programs or interventions in the same or similar areas
Please refer to this link for more information on this exciting evaluation opportunity, and submission information.
About the Organization
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.