Global Communities is currently implementing the USAID-funded Commercially Viable Conflict Free Gold Project (CVCFG), an artisanal mining initiative funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The goal of the project is to establish a conflict-free artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) gold supply chain originating from eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The five-year, $11.9 million program builds on recent successes achieved by donor-funded initiatives to export responsibly produced gold to jewelry buyers in North America and Europe.
CVCFG aims to contribute to the broader US government goal of reducing instability in the DRC by providing commercial opportunities to artisanal miners by linking them to responsible buyers in international markets. The three primary objectives of the project are:
to increase co-investment in conflict-free, traceable ASM gold from Eastern DRC (Objective 1)
to increase the volume of exports of conflict-free, traceable ASM gold from Eastern DRC (Objective 2)
to improve the commercial viability of ASM gold Cooperatives (Objective 3)
The main objective of this consultancy is to facilitate 1-2 virtual roundtable discussions with senior leaders from the CVCFG implementing agencies on the topic: “Due Diligence and Traceability of responsibly-sourced artisanal gold via the CVCFG Project”.
The goal of this series of discussions is to help CVCFG senior leadership develop a shared understanding for how we want to carry out supply chain due diligence-related activities under the project, as well as gain a clear sense of the roles and responsibilities for all consortium members related to the provision of due diligence support under the project.
* Work closely with the CVCFG Chief of Party to develop an agenda for the roundtable discussion(s);
* Speak with key members of the consortium prior to the meeting to ensure all of their concerns and desired outcomes/outputs are taken into consideration.
* Facilitate discussion during roundtable (keep the discussion on time and on track)
* Write up a short roundtable report that shares the topics discussed, consensus reached and decision points/action items.
Due Diligence Virtual Roundtable Report
The Consultant will produce a short report that captures key discussion points, decisions reached and actions items as a result of the roundtable.
Period of Performance: This assignment will be for 7 days level of effort, starting on/about May 20th and ending on/about June 5th.
Location: It is anticipate that this assignment will be conducted remotely. No travel is envisaged.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Knowledge of relevant context and experience working in Africa and/or conflict-affected countries.
* Superior communication skills in English.
* Ability to work in Microsoft Power Point.
* Fluency in oral and written English is required.
* Knowledge of the precious minerals value chain or jewelry industry desired.
* MBA, or Master’s Degree in International Development, Conflict Management, or Economics;
* Previous experience facilitating meetings between groups or organizations;
* Previous experience working with or for donor-funded programs (preferred).
All Applicants must submit a CV and cover letter highlighting previous experience facilitating discussions between groups and/or organizations working on the same initiative.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.