CNFA is currently seeking a Farm and Post-Harvest Production Consultant to support proposal development on the upcoming USAID/Senegal Agricultural Value Chain Services for the rice, maize, millet/sorghum and horticulture value chains. A key objective of the future project will be to increase the targeted value chains’ productivity and quality management system, including by reducing production costs and post-harvest losses and supporting the adoption of higher quality standards.
***The position will be based in Senegal.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Combine field visits throughout Senegal with a desk review of existing literature to identify critical equipment that reduces production cost and/or improves quality standards at the farm production and post-harvest levels, in the rice, maize, millet/sorghum and horticulture value chains.
- Conduct an in-depth cost-benefit analysis of relevant current and potential facilities, machines, and technologies that are cost-effective, time-saving, and easy to use, within these value chains.
- Identify technical, financial, social, and related limitations that prevent the procurement of appropriate technology and suggest ways to overcome these barriers.
- Recommend organizations and service providers that can participate in the upcoming project as partners, or who require business development services to better support smallholder farmers increase post-harvest production.
- Develop a concise and clear strategy brief that succinctly illustrates all aspects of this study.
- At least 5 – 7 years’ experience in conducting cost and benefit analyses, farm production, post-harvest and handling management, and creating business plans for agricultural mechanization and industrialization
- Demonstrated understanding of food safety and quality control is required;
- Proven track record in analyzing or preparing feasibility study reports, market research, and agriculture value chain analyses is required;
- Familiarity with the analytical tools for cost-benefit and investment analysis needed to conduct the assignment is required;
- Familiar with relevant food safety issues, institutions, and standards (local, regional, and international) that affect the rice, corn, millet, and sorghum value chains in Senegal is strongly preferred;
- International donor experience, especially with USAID, is strongly preferred;
- Fluency in French and English is required.
About the Organization
CNFA is a not-for-profit international agricultural development organization headquartered in Washington, D.C. and dedicated to increasing rural incomes by empowering farmers and rural entrepreneurs. CNFA assists smallholders in increasing household-level food security and nutrition through improved agricultural practices, introduction of new varieties, diversification of crop production, food preservation and storage, development of farmer-based organizations, and strengthened linkages to markets. CNFA has a successful track record of implementing agricultural development programs in 43 countries. www.cnfa.org
CNFA est une ONG internationale à but non lucratif dont le siège est à Washington DC. Nous sommes dédies à l’augmentation des revenus ruraux en autonomisant les agriculteurs et les entrepreneurs ruraux. CNFA aide les petits exploitants à améliorer la sécurité alimentaire et la nutrition par améliorant des meilleures pratiques agricoles, introduction de nouvelles variétés, diversification de la production végétale, conservation et stockage des aliments, développement d’organisations paysannes, et renforcement de l’accès aux marchés. CNFA a une grande expérience dans la mise en œuvre de programmes de développement agricole dans 43 pays.