In support of the US Agency for International Development (USAID) in Ethiopia and the US Forest Service Office of International Programs (USFS), Management and Engineering Technologies International, Inc (METI) may seek one full-time disaster management advisor to work with partners in Ethiopia to implement specific aspects of the Ethiopian National Incident Management System (NIMS). This skills search outlines activities and objectives for a potential full-time Advisor position.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities of the Disaster Management Advisor will include but are not limited to:
· Mainstream Ethiopia’s disaster risk management system to additional federal line ministries, in support of the National Disaster Risk Management Commission.
• Establish and mentor emergency operations centers (EOCs) and coordination platforms such as MACs at the federal level. Support EOC activations in case of emergencies.
• Ensure disaster risk management technical assistance activities are in line with national policy and mandates.
• Initiate training and capacity building activities for partner staff.
• Maintain effective relationships with senior leadership of relevant disaster management organizations to motivate them and advocate for the NIMS coordination structures to ensure their buy-in. Advocate for the decentralized authority for NIMS component activation, disaster declaration, response planning and resource mobilization.
• Keep training and curriculum materials up to date.
• Support and implement simulation exercises.
• Prepare quarterly and annual reports for USAID and USFS; provide thorough program analysis and disaster management recommendations to the USFS/IP program manager and USAID;
• Maintain a strong knowledge and awareness of disaster management and emergency coordination in Ethiopia, including relevant stakeholders and national policies to ensure the relevance and complementarity of the advisory role.
· Minimum 5 years’ experience working in disaster management;
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in disaster management or related field;
· Professional written and spoken proficiency in English required;
· Prior experience implementing NIMS (Incident Command System, Emergency Operations Centers, Multi-Agency Coordination groups, etc) and conducting NIMS training and simulation exercises;
· Prior experience responding to real emergencies using the Incident Command System; Incident Management Team experience preferred;
· Proven ability to work well with multi-level stakeholders; strong interpersonal skills; and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
· Prior international experience strongly preferred;
· Familiarity with disaster management and development issues in Ethiopia preferred;
· Strong writing, organizational, and communication skills;
· Strong ability to work independently in difficult conditions while maintaining productivity;
· USAID or other donor experience strongly preferred.
Position Location: Based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with potential for local travel in support of project activities.
· If a qualified applicant is located, the individual would be hired through a contractor.
Please email your resume or CV and a cover letter to: email@example.com by June 22, 2020. Please include “Ethiopia Federal Disaster Management Technical Advisor” in the subject line. In the body of the email, please indicate where you saw this posting.