Cardno is currently seeking a Female Safety Expert with expertise in the transport sector for short term assistance for a five-year program. Female safety experts will support the development of compacts and threshold programs in the areas of gender, social inclusion and poverty reduction. GSI experts will provide long, medium and short term support to inclusion analyses, design of GSI activities and support learning and development for GSI on the transport sector overall for transportation projects in Kenya, Malawi, Niger, Benin, Mozambique and Indonesia. Additional countries may be included as countries are selected.
Scope of Work:
- Complete comprehensive social and gender assessments of the transport sector to inform and support program development and design. Provide expertise in female safety and security considerations, as part of addressing affordability, safety, security, dignity and accessibility for women and men, children, people with disabilities and others, as well as the particular needs of small and medium enterprises.
- Support detailed design efforts for proposed GSI activities, oversee and/or provide guidance to the transport design consultant team to ensure that female safety and security issues in are integrated where relevant in the development and implementation of the transport projects.
- Supporting and/ or developing GSI criteria for public, rural and urban transport systems in the safety context addressing GSI issues (affordability, safety, security, dignity and accessibility for female commuters, children, people with disabilities, elderly).
- Support learning and development for GSI on the transport sector overall, assist GSI in updating internal current transport-related tools. The contractor shall research new and innovative ways to integrate women’s economic empowerment into transport compacts. Support GSI learning on transport data collection, transport-specific cost-benefit analysis, and transport-specific income distributional analysis.
- Contribute to the development and review of MCC and divisional policies and guidance documents.
- Develop knowledge management products for related to transport and GSI. These may be written with or for MCC staff and may include papers, briefs, blogs, or other products on topics related to GSI lessons learned or findings from specific compacts. Present findings resulting from the above tasks
Capacities Required for Consultancy
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in the social sciences or a related discipline (anthropology, sociology, women’s studies, public policy, community development, etc.).
- At least 10 years of international experience in social inclusion and/or gender analysis, design and implementation of projects
- At least 5 years of expertise in designing projects/activities for promoting safety of passengers in transport systems, especially developing protocols for service providers and users on reducing sexual harassment of women/girls
- Experience with rural and urban transportation networks, experience conducting assessments for inclusion of gender and marginalized persons in transport projects, incorporating safeguards against sexual exploitation and assault and trafficking in persons;
- Experience working with participatory community development and consultative methods, and experience working closely with local counterparts and the public at large
- Field experience required, experience working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong communications skills and effective report-writing skills;
- Capacity to be original and creative in strategies to integrate gender considerations into non-gender related programming
- Ability and willingness to travel (within COVID-19 travel protocols) as needed.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of at least one other language preferred for non-English speaking countries;
Capacities Preferred for Consultancy
- Prior experience working with MCC preferred
- Master’s or PhD preferred;
- Fluency in Portuguese, French or Indonesian
Travel: Remote with travel as required for stakeholder engagement.
Assignment duration: TBD
To apply please submit a CV and one page cover letter in English. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline for applications: March 1, 2021
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.
More Jobs from this Organization