Position: Field Coordinator Mogadishu
Reports to: Programme Director
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Relief International is a leading non-profit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. RI specializes in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which RI calls The RI Way — emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, RI empowers communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for themselves.
The Mogadishu Field Coordinator will be responsible for the daily coordination of the support departments (procurement, logistics, security and finance) and health, nutrition and education programme department in Mogadishu, in relation to communication and collaboration with the authorities, other stakeholders like NGOs.
Reporting to the Programme Director based in Garowe, the Field Coordinator closely collaborates with programme coordinators (health & nutrition, WASH, FSL and education) and correlate programming with support functions, adhering to the protocols and operating procedures of the organisation.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Actively participate and represent RI in coordination meetings with NGO colleagues, meetings conducted by local and state authorities, UN agencies and stakeholders
- Liaise with partners and local authorities whenever it serves the objectives of the programme
- Overall responsibility for coordinating with RI staff in Mogadishu, including ensuring positive and collaborative working relationships in line with RI’s Code of Conduct, leading performance planning and evaluation process
- Responsible for the planning and timely implementation of all activities ensuring adherence to RI and donor policies and procedures
- Coordinating with support departments, including efficient and effective financial operations and budgeting, administration, human resources, logistics, procurement and security in compliance with RI and donor regulations
- Ensure the timely and quality delivery of weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual project reports and staff contributions to organizational monitoring and evaluation requirements to ensure project quality, relevance and accountability to RI’s beneficiary populations
- Support programme staff to create synergy between the sectors
- Continuously monitor programme quality and develop relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthen the effort to document the impact of activities and RI presence
- Work closely with technical coordinators and Grant Manager on concept and proposal development
Finance and administration
- Daily coordination with Finance Manager and finance team to ensure smooth running of department
- Maintain a budget overview and collaborate regularly with the finance team to monitor spending and ensure the timely utilization of grants relating to South Central Somalia
- Review and/or approve (checking for accuracy & compliance) all high level procurements, framework agreements, leases and other large value, high risk financial commitments
- Maintain support department’s archives and administrative files
- Daily coordination with Human Resources team to ensure smooth running of department
- Ensure staff are well versed on RI’s Code of Conduct, accountability, respectful dialogue with the displaced, refugees and host communities, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse
- Promote professional development by identifying training and capacity building opportunities and ensure staff performance plans and evaluations are conducted on a regular basis
- Identify staffing and/or skill gaps and see that these gaps/needs are filled
- Support the recruitment of staff
Logistics, procurement and warehouse management
- Daily coordination with logistics team to ensure smooth running of department
- Work with in-country operations teams to roll out and improve operational systems and ensure standard operation policies and procedures are adhered to
- Assess Mogadishu office fleet management standards; ensure appropriate allocation and safe use is achieved throughout the servicing of programme and staff; rental service agreements and contracting is done in alignment with RI procurement standards and fuel and maintenance systems are in place
- Support warehouse teams to ensure systems and reporting are in place for the effective storage and distribution of all program stocks. Support in the trial of an inventory management system for pharmaceutical stocks
- Based on RI policies and procedures, improve and/or define logistic and procurement processes at mission level
Safety and Security
- Assume overall responsibility for staff safety in the area of operation
- Ensure office security improvement advise is being implemented and followed up
- Work closely with Security Officer that all relevant information regarding safety, security and the context is collected, updated and shared in a regular and timely manner
- Ensure that the Senior Security Officer manages basic security planning including information gathering and regular updating of risk assessments, standard operating procedures, and evacuation and contingency plans
- Make decisions and assist the safety focal point to manage security incidents at local level, in consultation with the Country Director and the Security Officer
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Degree or professional certification in Social Sciences, International Development or related field
- Solid experience in programme management (4 to 5 years)
- Experience working with the international donors’ funding
- Experience in rolling out systems in a field office and in supporting programmes
- Strong computer competency with word processing, spreadsheets, and databases
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication and ease in managing a multi-ethnic team
- Good team leadership and conflict resolution skills, consensus team building, and adaptability
- Ability to identify and communicate potential problems and propose solutions to the level of management and effect change
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken, Somali spoken is essential
- Willingness to travel to field sites to provide technical support
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
HOW TO APPLY:
For consideration please submit a detailed CV and cover letter by February 15, 2019. Due to the critical nature of this position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants will be interviewed prior to the closing date that may appear on any of the job boards where this is posted. We regret that only short-listed applicants will be considered.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises, and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.