Field Monitoring Specialist Short-Term, USAID/Iraq Performance Management and Evaluation Services (PMES), Anbar Province, Iraq
Under the recently-awarded Iraq PMES contract, MSI provides USAID/Iraq with utilization-driven support in the areas of project/activity monitoring, evaluation, research, organizational learning, and knowledge management. The primary goal of the contract is to improve performance management at all levels to help the Mission meet Agency requirements, make better informed strategic and management decisions, and advance USAID learning on effective development approaches. The project involves services across four components: (1) Performance Management, (2) Evaluation Services, (3) M&E Capacity Building, and (4) Collaboration, Learning and Adapting. The project will have offices Baghdad and Erbil.
USAID relies on third-party monitoring (TPM) to provide independent monitoring data to inform management decisions and corrective actions. The PMES activity will provide on-the-ground monitoring, verification and reporting services for USG contracts, grants, and cooperative agreements in Iraq. A team of 10 full-time Iraqi Field Monitors (IFMs) will be tasked with providing activity verification, oversight and performance/outcome monitoring for USAID activities across all 18 provinces. In addition to the IFMs, PMES seeks the services of a small cadre of Short-term Monitoring Specialists (STMS) who will provide monitoring services on an as-need basis, usually within their governorate of residence.
**Please note: Only Iraqi citizens are eligible for this position**
The Field Monitoring Specialist will assist PMES by undertaking site visits to monitor USAID-financed Activities dealing with infrastructure, governance, stabilization, humanitarian assistance and rebuilding communities. On-site monitoring comprises observing an event or infrastructure that is being implemented by USAID’s Implementing Partners (IPs) and completing a pre-designed monitoring report. Monitoring may involve interviews with beneficiaries and stakeholders. The purpose of the monitoring reports is to provide USAID with an objective sense of how the Activities are being implemented on the ground. This is a short-term technical assistant position.
- Conduct TPM site visits assigned by the TPM Manager
- Complete TPM Reports using prepared monitoring forms and submit to PMES in accordance with protocols
- Respond to requests from the TPM Manager or the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist for additional information or clarifications needed to finalize the TPM Reports
- Review internal controls to ensure the delivery of services to intended beneficiaries
- Verify that the technical specification and quantity of items delivered are in accordance with the Bills of Quantity
- Review compliance with pertinent USG and USAID regulations, laws and policies
- Conduct checks of the timeliness and the quality of activity inputs and outputs
- Verify the eligibility of listed beneficiaries for services or programs, ensuring that services are reaching eligible and intended beneficiaries
- Gather feedback on the quality and relevance of training and technical assistance programs
- Verify the proper and safe storage of commodities
- Verify sub-contractor/grantee compliance with sub-contract/grant terms
- Verify compliance with quality and safety measures for construction and rehabilitation programs
- Determine whether preliminary outcomes are proceeding as expected
- Liaise with local authorities and coordinate with respective IPs to obtain access to sites
- Collect quality data and meet the assigned site visit targets
- Interview beneficiaries and implementing partner points of contact during site visits
- Assess implementing partners’ progress against timelines and benchmarks in implementation/work plans
- Confirm the accuracy of data reported by partners in the quarterly and annual reports
- Help the team develop new and better ways to use MEL to support USAID/Iraq and its implementing partners goals
- Undergraduate degree required, preferably in a related field
- A minimum three years professional experience, preferably in areas related to project management, performance monitoring, data collection, and evaluation
- Sector-specific knowledge and expertise in one or more of the sectors that USAID activities support, such as governance and accountability, economic growth, education, post-conflict and resilience, gender and integration, and stabilization
- Familiarity with USAID M&E procedures and/or experience conducting independent monitoring and verification of USAID activities is preferred
- Experience applying qualitative and quantitative data collection tools and methods, including document review, beneficiary feedback surveys, key informant interviews, focus group discussions
- Ability to travel between areas in Anbar
- Ability to work on a team and communicate effectively with partners, stakeholders and beneficiaries
- Proven record of establishing trust with female participants and respecting cultural/community norms
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in Arabic required (native proficiency)
- Professional working proficiency in written and verbal communications in English required
Reasonable Accommodations: MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email MSI.Dept.HRRecruiting@tetratechinc.onmicrosoft.com with “Reasonable Accommodations” in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.