Abt Associates seeks a qualified Finance & Administration (F&A) Director for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded Early Grade Reading (EGR) project based in Malawi. The project aims to improve literacy learning outcomes in primary schools nationwide. The F&A Director is responsible for the primary oversight and in-country leadership of all financial reporting, human resources and administrative operations through the life of the program. In particular, s/he will oversee financial operations for the program; conduct continual reporting to ensure the financial health of the program and the correct usage of funds. We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide.
The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates. Malawian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain sound financial management systems in line with USAID rules and regulations, accounting best practices and Abt Associates policies and procedures;
- Lead the development, monitoring, and review of project budgets in line with national laws, donor regulations and corporate policies;
- Produce budget projections and reports for submission to USAID and Abt home office;
- Review financial analyses and budget vs. expense reports to determine reasonableness of variances and take appropriate actions as required;
- Maintain regular communications with the senior management team providing relevant and timely financial information for planning and decision-making purposes;
- Oversee financial audits;
- Oversee Finance and Administration staff in the project head office and in satellite project offices, ensuring that functions are performed timely and accurately;
- Lead recruitment, orientation and training of new administrative or accounting staff;
- Ensure implementation of and adherence of Abt Associates Human Resources policies including compliance with national labor law;
- Negotiate with vendors for best terms for procuring goods, supplies and services in compliance with USAID and Abt Associates policies and procedures.
- Master’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or other relevant field and at least 10 years of experience in financial analysis, financial reporting, cash flow analysis, budget development and forecasting on donor-funded projects or a Bachelor’s degree and at least 12 years of relevant experience;
- Experience as a Finance Director of multi-million dollar USAID projects required;
- Experience developing and implementing finance and accounting policies, procedures and systems;
- Experience planning, implementing, and properly accounting for funds in projects requiring large-scale and complex cash payments and fund transfers;
- Excellent analytical and computer skills, with strong experience in Excel and QuickBooks;
- Well-developed and effective organizational skills, including to ability to multi-task and work in a high-pressure environment;
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies;
- Previous direct supervisory experience of professional and/or support staff; and
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills in English.
- Master’s degree and 10-12 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.