Finance Advisor, Afghanistan’s Measure for Accountability and Transparency (AMANAT),
“Afghanistan’s Measure for Accountability and Transparency” project (AMANAT) is a USAID activity focused on supporting Afghan government and non-government institutions reduce and prevent corruption in the delivery of public services. The project works closely with local counterpart agencies to identify public services that are particularly vulnerable to corruption, develop mitigation strategies, implement those initiatives, and monitor their impact. Examples of AMANAT’s reforms include administrative streamlining, improved internal controls, e-governance applications, more open data, and establishing ethics units in government agencies. The project also promotes better communication of these reforms to generate more public trust in government. In addition, civil society, business and the media play major roles in AMANAT by conducting robust monitoring and oversight of these institutional reforms and their impacts.
**Please note: Only Afghan citizens are eligible for this position**
The Finance Advisor will provide technical advice and implementation support to build the capacity of the designated government entity on financial management functions, the public financial management system, financial analysis, budget analysis, financial reporting, budgeting, financial planning, voucher control, training, and financial performance monitoring. In this position, the advisor will be an essential member of a multi-disciplinary team that is creating change in public service delivery by identifying and focusing on business processes in government agencies and then making them more efficient by simplifying them.
- Plan, organize and conduct training courses for government staff on different aspects of financial management
- Develop an accounting manual through a consultative process and train program staff to adopt an effective accounting and financial monitoring system
- Establish electronic, as well as a manual, filing system to maintain accurate and updated accounting records and documents, including all transaction vouchers, ledgers, bank statements, agreements, receipts, etc.
- Advise and support finance staff to integrate financial procedures and systems with the Afghanistan Financial Management Information System (AFMIS), and develop and track program progress and management performance
- Conduct on-the-job-training and practical workshops on the development of financial plans and the preparation of annual budgets
- Build the finance team’s capacity to develop financial reports for designated departments
- Support the establishment and implementation of an effective Financial Monitoring Reporting mechanism
- Build the finance team’s capacity to prepare various financial statements and financial reports on a time-bound basis, as part of an overall AFMIS.
- Advise the Finance Team on the preparation and processing of financial forms on a timely basis to avoid any delays
- Assist in establishing a professional financial management and accounting database system for the department, especially in managing the accounting system according to best practices
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree is preferred
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting software
- Familiarity with the Public Financial Management system
- Outstanding teamwork skills
- Strong communications skills including effective listening
- Proactive problem solver
- Demonstrated experience mentoring and capacity building
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and develop reports
- Skills in organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Conflict resolution and/or mediation skills
- Fluent English, and professional proficiency in Dari and Pashto (writing and speaking)
Reasonable Accommodations: MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email MSI.Dept.HRRecruiting@tetratechinc.onmicrosoft.com with “Reasonable Accommodations” in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.
Applications due by: July 17, 2020
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.