Jhpiego seeks a Finance and Administration (F&A) Director to provide financial and administrative management for a USAID-funded Helping Mothers and children Thrive (HEMAYAT) project in Afghanistan. The five year-project began in 2015 and will end January 2020. S/he will ensure that the financial reports are compatible with standard accounting practices and follow Jhpiego and USAID rules and regulations. The Finance and Administration Director will report to the Chief of Party. This position will be based in Kabul.
Afghanistan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Participate as a key member of the project’s Senior Management Team (SMT);
- In conjunction with the SMT, ensure that all project operations, activities, and financial transactions are compliant with USAID, Johns Hopkins University, and Jhpiego procedures and policies;
- Provide guidance to project team members regarding the financial requirements of the project and office operations in compliance with USAID, (award agreement), Johns Hopkins University, and Jhpiego procedures and policies
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff and align their efforts in concert with project goals to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Budget Administration. Overseeing the annual budget and financial plan preparation, tracking budget execution.
- Banking and Cash Management: Managing bank accounts and related records, cash disbursements, cash receipts, cash count. Reports to senior staff on status of accounts.
- Financial Reporting: Preparing monthly and quarterly reports including budget variance reports, trial balance, cash flow reports, sales receipts and banking reconciliation and balance sheets.
- Accounting Procedures: Managing accounts payable, and accounts receivable summaries, journal entries for adjustment to the general ledger, chart of accounts and financial coding structure
- Payroll: Managing monthly payroll process and keeping payroll records.
- Lead the development, monitoring, and review of project budgets; review monthly financial analysis and budget vs. expense reports to determine reasonableness of variances and take appropriate actions, as required
- Provide financial reports, including pipeline analysis, quarterly project reports, as requested by the donor
- Oversee day-to-day coordination of financial activities ensuring cost efficiency
- Maintain and administer an on-site financial accounting and bookkeeping system (QuickBooks) required to assure the integrity and effective performance of financial operations and prepare monthly reports
- Facilitate the work of external audits and ensure that financial records are properly maintained and readily available during audits
- Direct and oversee the monitoring and annual auditing of cost-share requirements, tracking and reporting
- Contribute to developing work plans and annual budgets for project activities and local office costs
- Ensure that USAID resources are appropriately directed to project priorities and are in line with project work plans
- Ensure that Jhpiego human resources and administrative procedures are in place for the project and staff are in compliance. These include time keeping, tracking of leave, sick days, absence, personnel employment records, and other human resources actions
- Provide guidance, monitoring and support to project team, including procurement for goods and services, logistical support for local and international travel (including expense reports) for staff and consultants, contracts development and management and maintenance of office inventory
- Ensure that Jhpiego administrative procedures are in place for the project and staff are in compliance. These include procurement procedures, office operations and management procedures.
- Oversee project’s day-to-day cash needs, payments, procurement, contracts, sub-grants, reviewing/processing invoices and, consultant payments
- Advanced degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting
- At least 8 years of experience in administrative and financial management of large international programs in developing countries
- At least 5 years of experience with financial analysis, financial reporting, cash flow analysis, budget development and forecasting, preferably on international health projects
- 5 or more years of senior-level work experience with USAID-funded projects Previous direct supervisory experience of professional and support staff
- Knowledge of USG cost principles, including USAID regulations, GAAP accounting rules and grants contract management
- Demonstrated experience organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Knowledge of financing mechanisms - contracts and grants and their relevant terms and conditions
- Experience developing and/or implementing finance and accounting policies, procedures and systems
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills in English; knowledge of Pashto/Dari is a plus
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop financial and administrative capacity of project staff
- In depth knowledge financial software applications, databases and spreadsheets, including QuickBooks Enterprise, and Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, nonprofit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For more than 42 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to ensure high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at: www.jobs-jhpeigo.icims.com
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume, references, and salary history.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
JHU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer