The “Ecosystem-Based Adaptation and Mitigation in Botswana’s Communal Rangelands” Project funded by Green Climate Fund (GCF) will utilize collective management of livestock and ecosystems to restore Botswana’s communal rangelands, increasing the climate resilience of vulnerable populations and reducing Green House Gas (GHG) emissions. Over 8 years, the project will undertake activities in 104 villages in Ngamiland, Kgalagadi, and Bobirwa districts of Botswana targeting improved management of 4.6 million hectares of rangelands.
The Finance and Administration Director is responsible for supporting the efficient and effective operation of the Ecosystem-based Adaptation and Mitigation in Botswana’s Communal Rangelands project. Reporting to the Chief of Party, the Finance & Administration Director will provide administrative, financial, and logistical support required to implement the Project. This position will work cross-divisionally with field offices and divisions across the organization, and cross-functionally with programmatic, financial and administrative staff to ensure the Project achieves its deliverables timely, effectively and efficiently.
· Ensure financial operations for the project are in compliance with terms and conditions of donor(s) agreement, Conservation International’s policies and procedures and practices and local regulations.
· Provide financial and administrative leadership in the design, implementation, and monitoring of project activities.
· Develop, update and monitor budgets for the project and under the direction of the Chief of Party, manage project budget allocations to other divisions and units within CI.
· Analyze project expenses, including sub-recipient financial reports, on a monthly and quarterly basis to ensure expenses are allocable and appropriately charged to the Project, are in compliance with donor requirements, and are in accordance with donor-approved budgets.
· Review financial reports with Chief of Party on a monthly basis, ensuring accuracy of reporting, compliance with Project budget, allocability of expenses.
· Assess cost-effectiveness of methodologies proposed by the project team, making recommendations as appropriate.
· Prepare donor financial reports, ensuring alignment with technical reporting.
· Maintain all project records and documentation in CI’s Enterprise Reporting System, Business World.
· Support the Chief of Party with effective, responsive and timely support on project planning, implementation and monitoring.
· Advise project staff on donor requirements; and provide training on financial management, recordkeeping, operational systems, and policies as necessary.
· Provide timely documenting and communication of deliverables, milestones, and award compliance requirements to the Chief of Party and Project staff.
· Maintain effective linkages between technical components, grants and finance and administrative functions within the project.
· Prepare requests and secure all required donor approvals for contractual, budgetary, procurement, etc., ensuring all such requests and approvals are appropriately documented.
· In coordination with the Chief of Party, liaise with the donor on finance, administrative, and operations issues, participating in discussions on contract issues and actions, and following up on client requests and concerns
· Rigorous monitoring and reporting of the co-financing commitment within the project.
· Develop and execute the Project procurement plan in accord with the donor-approved budget and all applicable CI and donor policies, procedures and requirements. Assure all required approvals within CI and from the donor are timely secured.
· Lead procurement process to ensure proper planning, purchasing and distribution of project products in compliance with donor requirements and CI policies and procedures.
· In collaboration with the relevant Grants and Contracts staff, finalize and administer sub-agreements, subcontracts, and other related project agreements.
· With the support and guidance of the relevant Grants and Contracts staff, communicate with and orient sub-recipients to ensure understanding of CI’s grants and contracts procedures and donor regulations.
· With the support and guidance of the relevant Grants and Contracts staff, ensure the financial monitoring of all project sub-grants in accordance with proper accounting principles and donor requirements.
· Coordinate or execute procurement process including development of terms of reference, scopes of work, requests for proposals and quotes ensuring compliance with donors and CI’s procedures for various types and thresholds.
· Organize Project-related workshops and events.
· Maintain inventory of Project assets, ensuring items are properly maintained.
· Monitor use of Project assets.
· In collaboration with the appropriate Human Resources Business Partner and the responsible Project; staff, support completion of paperwork related to recruitment and hiring of Project staff.
· Supervise financial and administrative staff as required.
· Based in Gaborone. Frequent remote travel to the field.
· Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or a related field.
· A minimum of 10 years of experience managing financial and contractual aspects for large international development projects.
· Significant experience with project financial management, including financial controls, accounting, and project audits, reporting, and donor compliance.
· Ability to work across various teams with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to navigate complex operating environments.
· Demonstrated knowledge of rules, regulations, and reporting requirements of Multilaterals, U.S. Government, and similar funding sources.
· Strong analytical and computer skills, with experience using ERP systems and project management systems.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Cultural sensitivity and ability to respect and work well with people from different backgrounds and disciplines.
· Experience working in an international non-profit organization.
· Professional Finance or accounting certification
· Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and under minimal supervision.