In Myanmar, International IDEA has worked in three main areas: electoral processes; transition to democracy, and parliamentary support. IDEA supports inclusive, democratic elections through capacity assistance to the Union Election Commission, political parties, civil society, media and other democratic stakeholders. This is part of the Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy (STEP Democracy) project, funded by the European Union.
In the STEP Democracy programme, the European Union provides support via eight organisations; four international organisations, International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA), the Danish Institute for Parties and Democracy (DIPD), Democracy Reporting International (DRI), and the Friedrich Naumann Foundation (FNF); and four local organisations, Myanmar Egress, Hornbill Organization, the Scholar Institute and Naushawng Education Network, which are implementing voter education programmes with FNF. STEP Democracy has a strong commitment to an open and flexible approach to democratic reform which is mindful of the rich history and cultural diversity of Myanmar and which does not seek to impose solutions.
The Finance and Administrative Assistant will provide finance and administrative support, co-ordinate events, assist with the preparation of documents and maintain records and files for the Nay Pyi Taw office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes invoices, project advance requests, and project expenditure reports in accordance with International IDEA’s policies and procedures;
- Checks completeness, validity, accuracy and security of project financial documents before and/or after payment and follows up on issues;
- Liaises with the Finance and Administrative Officer in Yangon on financial issues and submits monthly returns;
- Supports the Finance and Administrative Officer in Yangon, with the development and monitoring of financial management information systems;
- Improves and maintains compliance of transactions with International IDEA’s procurement policy; including the collection of quotes and ensuring payments are according to signed commitments and implemented according to terms of agreement/contracts;
- Maintains and updates the asset register for the Nay Pyi Taw office;
- Assists with expenditure control in relation to the office ensuring to check against budgets;
- Checks compliance of financial documents with International IDEA’s financial and operations manual before payment;
- Supports the Associate Program Officer in organizing meetings, conferences and workshops, including budget control;
- Organizes staff travel including cost control, travel advances, travel claims and other associated issues; when applicable, assists external consultants;
- Assists with the registration of internal/external communications and institutional documents, in liaison with the Archivist at Headquarters;
- Registers all personnel leave requests with Headquarters;
- Assists with the update and maintenance of the Institute’s internal website.
- Has developed knowledge and skills through formal training or work experience;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Programme Manager, Electoral Support
- Has established skills to perform a range of day-to-day activities.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates the results-based approach into his/her activities;
- Understands how the assigned duties relate to others in the team and how the team integrates with others throughout the organization;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No direct people management responsibility.
- Recognizes and solves typical problems that can occur in own work area; evaluates and selects solutions from established options.
- Has an impact on the programme development and delivery through the quality of the services or information provided.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma and preferably business and/or secretarial education; University degree in accounting, finance or other relevant discipline is preferable;
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage;
- Fluency in written and oral English and Myanmar language is essential.
Terms of Contract
Local Post. Two (2) year fixed-term appointment.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Myanmar.
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted no later than 22 August 2018. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Please apply directly by pressing the Send Application button.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
About the Organization
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.