The Finance and Grants Manager will be responsible for ensuring NMNW’s fiscal responsibility amidst a multi-donor financial management process. They will provide oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities, and will ensure that NMNW has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation that complies with all contractual obligations. This position will define the process and implement the financial infrastructure/systems needed to support substantial growth over the next 3 to 5 years. This position will report to NMNW’s Managing Director.
This is a full-time position based in the United States with the potential to travel to East Africa 2-3 weeks per year. NMNW is in the process of establishing a US office near Providence, RI. This position could be based out of NMNW’s US office, or we are open to the right candidate working remotely (especially from strategic cities such as DC, NYC, San Francisco or Boston). Salary is commensurate with experience. Applicants must have the right to work in the United States.
Grant Management and Compliance
- Monitor the performance of all grants with respect to the activities, deliverables, and milestones agreed upon in their funding proposals.
- Ensure that NMNW complies with all contractual obligations, financial reporting requirements, and all other funder guidelines.
- Ensure that all uses of funds are properly prepared, reviewed, approved, and documented, in line with all appropriate policies, procedures, authority levels, and local laws, and ensures that this information is properly entered into the accounting system.
- Oversee and enforce the system for the procurement of all goods and services, following U.S. Government rules and regulations where applicable
- Responsible for leading the reporting process on all grants to ensure compliance with approved policies and procedures.
- Draft and manage calendar of reports due and individual timelines for all of NMNW’s grants.
- Provide regular reports to internal and external stakeholders detailing status of grants and achievements to date.
- Assist in preparing proposal budgets before submission determine the level of financial support and resource capacity needed for implementation, and ensure appropriate costs are included.
- Establish and sustain relationships with relevant local NGOs, CBOs, donor agencies and government authorities as necessary.
- Work closely with NMNW’s outsourced financial management firm to design the chart of accounts, and monitor all financial activities including: payroll, monthly expense reporting, bill payment, tax preparation, expense reimbursement, etc.
- Ensure that all financial expenditures are consistently aligned with specific grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period
- Track NMNW’s spending relative to grant budgets, identify potential problem areas, and propose potential solutions.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting by working closely with senior leadership staff
- Assist NMNW’s leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process
Capacity Building and Systems Development
- Lead the development of a set of internal financial controls, systems, and reporting functionality that meet requirements for US Government funding compliance, and are in line with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Design, develop and maintain grants management database and filing system for all grant agreements and financial reports.
- Train all NMNW staff to integrate appropriate financial record keeping and reporting requirements into their respective functional areas.
- Provide backend support, review, and guidance for NMNW timesheet system and train and monitor all staff to ensure correct and timely use of the system
- Review budget vs. actual reports with key staff on a monthly basis
- Conduct grant kickoff calls with relevant staff for any new grant received to ensure NMNW staff understand the objectives, activities, and reporting responsibilities for all new grants
- Degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of 4+ years experience as an nonprofit accountant/finance professional, ideally in international development
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is essential
- Experience with major foreign donors, including US Government agencies (USAID/CDC), is strongly preferred
- Strong experience managing financial reporting, budget development and analysis, general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, income tax and banking
- Experience designing and managing subgrants to partner organizations strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability with reviewing, creating, and implementing new systems and approaches to financial and grant management
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Ability to translate financial concepts to programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision, be a self-starter, team builder, innovative and demonstrate the capacity for maintaining high professional standards
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, effectively managing multiple priorities
- Passionate about ending sexual violence against women and children and an enthusiastic commitment to NMNW’s history and mission
- To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- Please include your name and the job title in your subject line.
- In your cover letter, please indicate how you learned about the opening.
- Applications are due by June 15, 2018. We intend to fill the position as soon as possible.