The Power Africa Off-grid (PAOP) Project Finance and Impact Investing Advisor is responsible for providing technical assistance support to investors and private sector companies to mobilize more private financing for energy companies and projects. This is a full-time position. Ideally the position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa, however, is open to qualified candidates based in Sub-Saharan Africa. Other countries of residence may also be considered for the right candidate. This position reports to the PAOP Cross-cutting Team Lead.
- Serve as one of PAOP’s expert on finance and investment including equity and debt in the energy space.
- Conduct outreach to impact investors, strategic investors, private equity investors and specialist debt financiers and build PAOP’s network of investors
- Lead or contribute to project-level activities relating to financing, including conducting assessments, identification of highest impact opportunities, contributing to annual work plans, implementing approved activities, and reporting on progress
- Manage work done by subcontractors providing access to finance services to companies and investors in the energy finance space
- Identify technical assistance opportunities in large complex on going transactions in the off-grid space.
- Facilitate introductions between energy companies and private investors in countries in which PAOP implements projects
- Support off-grid companies in accessing financing available through banks and international financial institutions
- Help off-grid companies to identify and prepare applications for multiple type of sources of funding including commercial or subsidies
- Review and provide feedback on commercial financing terms and grant applications
- Engage investors, including impact investors, gender-lens investors, commercial lenders, institutional investors, family foundations, crowdfunding platforms, and others, to provide support for them to begin investing in off-grid companies or to grow existing investments in the sector. Support activities may include:
- Strategy development and internal awareness raising of energy sector opportunities
- Pipeline building to support lending objectives
- Financial product and service design to ensure appropriate product development for the energy sector, coordinating co-funding opportunities with donors and development finance institutions (DFIs) as appropriate
- Market intelligence and risk assessments on a market segment and/or country-specific level to assist investor due diligence
- Convening investors and other event coordination for the finance sector to ensure increased dialogue between existing investors active in the energy sector and new potential market financiers
- Develop other access to finance related documents and resources, as requested by PAOP Leadership.
Contribute to PAOP’s key metrics to help catalyze $500 million of new investment capital and facilitate six million new off-grid electricity connections in sub-Saharan Africa by 2022.
Minimum Required Education & Experience:
- Minimum of Master’s degree in business, finance, economics or a related field;
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience working in banks, investments firms, financial advisory providers, ideally investing in the off-grid sector;
- Prior experience with off-grid energy projects, preferably in Africa;
- Experience closing transactions of at least $5m in the off-grid sector;
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and experiences in financial analysis, and transaction advisory, developing and structuring of debt instruments/facilities among other finance-related areas, as required;
- Possess excellent organizational and analytical skills;
- Strong verbal and written English communications skills, proficiency in French is also preferred.
Candidates should be in possession of the valid permit to live and work in the country of assignment.